Gingerbread House Time Again

Baking By justgale Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm by Win

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 14

We had a great gingerbread house thread going last year http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604431-.html Is it time to start up one again this year? Anyone doing haunted houses for Halloween? Any plans yet for Christmas? Share your thoughts, ideas and any questions you might have.
Sherri

13 replies
Bearkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bearkitty Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 14

Can't wait to see what you all do icon_biggrin.gif One note... do not put heavy candy on the roof such as big candy ribons lol. Last year I did my very first one which took all day and night... when I got to the part of putting the candy on the roof (big heavy candy ribbons) it started to bow in the middle and then collasped. I tried to repair it but used to much runny royal icing and it was all sliding down into a big mess lol. Lesson learned.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 14

I started last year & flaked out.

But this year I've already got my dough resting in the frige and my pattern almost finished.

I have no idea if it will work--should be able to tell in the next few days~~

I'm trying to do the Ponte Rialto--the bridge over the Grand Canal in Venice.

That span in front has 20 inches where it will not touch the board <clears throat nervously>

I'll try & add a photo of the bridge.
LL

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 14

I have a bunch of other ideas that I'll spare you until I'm sure it will fly. It's only six inches of bridge that hits the board on either side of the twenty inches of nothing oh my oh my

So it was toss up of making it either 32 inches or 40 inches.

Neither fits in my oven--I can use the oven at church, but I think I'm gonna try & get it started at home anyhow.

It's 20 inches of nothing over six inches tall in the middle <gulp>

icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 14

You guys should check out this site, too funny. http://www.gingerbreadghetto.com/

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 14

I'm inspired by Martha Stewart's gingerbread townhouses -- I'd like to give a try to those this year.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I have a bunch of other ideas that I'll spare you until I'm sure it will fly. It's only six inches of bridge that hits the board on either side of the twenty inches of nothing oh my oh my

So it was toss up of making it either 32 inches or 40 inches.

Neither fits in my oven--I can use the oven at church, but I think I'm gonna try & get it started at home anyhow.

It's 20 inches of nothing over six inches tall in the middle <gulp>

icon_biggrin.gif

Can't wait to see this K8!!

justgale Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

You guys should check out this site, too funny. http://www.gingerbreadghetto.com/

Cute. I liked it Prison one. It made me laugh. Now I'll have to dig through my old pictures. I think my son did something that looks like it belonged in a cheep trailor park one year.

I had planned on attempting the Effile Tower and a Lighthouse this year, but we are getting ready to move, so I might to have to work among the packing boxes. Need to use up all the candy so I don't have to move it. icon_wink.gif
Sherri

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 14

[quote="TubbsCookies]
Can't wait to see this K8!![/quote]

Tubbs, me too!!! icon_biggrin.gifoh my oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm inspired by Martha Stewart's gingerbread townhouses -- I'd like to give a try to those this year.

Is there a picture?

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

[quote="TubbsCookies]
Can't wait to see this K8!!

Tubbs, me too!!! icon_biggrin.gifoh my oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Is there a picture?[/quote]

Let's see if I can attach this... It was on the Dec. 2007 MSL cover.
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 14
Ruthiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruthiechef Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #13 of 14

Our local Country Museum Village is having a gingerbread contest based on the buildings in the village. I'm going to attempt the church, which my husband's grandparents preached in. Should be fun! Looking forward to exploring all the great ideas here before I dive in!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by justgale

We had a great gingerbread house thread going last year http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604431-.html Is it time to start up one again this year? Anyone doing haunted houses for Halloween? Any plans yet for Christmas? Share your thoughts, ideas and any questions you might have.
Sherri

Indeed, the other thread has never died... there is a lot of good info out there on that one as well so please don't hesitate to go out and grab that one for a good read!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%