...thin Nutella So It Spreads Better???

Baking By tracey1970 Updated 15 Mar 2013 , 9:34am by bryanco

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake coming up inside of which I would like to use Nutella as a filling. I have mixed it with buttercream before, and I found that my BC seized up and was virtually not spreadable. This time, I would prefer to use just a thin layer of Nutella, but even used alone it's a bit hard to spread without tearing up the cake. Given that I just want it for filling, I don't care if it does that a little bit (no one will see it), but I would like to know if there's a way I can thin it just a little bit for ease of spreading. Anyone ever thinned it before? Corn syrup?

Thanks so much for your help!

5 replies
still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 6

I heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds and then it spreads like a charm icon_smile.gif Seems to work great for getting a thin layer onto cake. HTH!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 6

I agree I always heat it up and it makes it so easy to spread. Good luck

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 6

I mix mine with whipped cream. Spreads fine, and is delicious. Gives it a smoother and lighter taste.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 6

Great advice! Thanks! I would have thought heating it up might encourage it to soak into the cake, but if you guys are doing it without a problem, then I'll give it a try. Thanks, cheesecakes, for the whipped cream idea. This is a cake I am covering in fondant, and I don't want to refrigerate it for that reason. If I use Nutella in a cake that can go in the fridge, I will give the whipped cream a try.

Thanks again!

bryanco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bryanco Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 9:34am
post #6 of 6

I want to spread a thick one! This whole Columbia Nutella thing is idiotic as hell, but is noteworthy in a sense for being an example of a tragedy of the commons. That's when a source for public use gets abused and there are many more examples.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%