Freezing Cakes - Won't Fit Ziplock...help Please!

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm by -K8memphis

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 15

So I made my cakes tonight for a party on Saturday and got ready to pop the bottom 10" layers in the freezer...and found out they won't fit in a gallon freezer bag. I've only ever frozen 8" layers before and never thought there would be a problem. Well, I wrapped the 10 inchers 4 times in Saran Wrap and once with foil. Will that be enough to keep them from getting freezer burn? I'm so scared of getting them out on Friday and they won't work. Help!

14 replies
skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 15

Relax...your cakes will be fine wrapped in Saran Wrap and Foil. That is how I freeze my cakes. I never use bags and have not had any problems.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 15

Ditto. icon_smile.gif

nonie2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonie2007 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 15

I also wrap my cakes in saran wrap and then foil. I just wanted to let you know that there are larger sized ziploc bags now. My sister works in a bakery and they receive the cakes frozen and in a bag very similar to a ziploc bag but much thinner and sealed on the end. I never thought about it before I read your post but I guess it's work a try to try ziploc bags. This makes the task even easier. I really use alot of saran wrap and foil. Might be more cost effective. Well I hope this helps you and thanks for giving me an idea.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 15

ditto

cre8_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8_acake Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:56am
post #6 of 15

thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:56am
post #7 of 15

I wrap in saran wrap only. I use the commercial grade saran (not the crap they sell in the grocery), and I usually only need one layer of saran.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #8 of 15

Well, I use the crap they sell in the grocery store icon_lol.gif and I still only use one layer. Then I use a layer of foil.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:15am
post #9 of 15

I am always scared to greeze my cakes!! I always make them to order and then stress the whole time I have one to do because I am crunching time to do it! I will have to try to make one, wrap it the way you guys do and see how it turns out, because this would be a big relief and way less stress (on me and the ones around me HA)!!!!!!!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #10 of 15

I freeze every cake and once it's cooled I wrap it in Press And Seal and that does the trick! Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Well, I use the crap they sell in the grocery store icon_lol.gif and I still only use one layer. Then I use a layer of foil.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Seriously, I hate buying ANYTHING in the grocery anymore. I am not kidding, the Stouffer's frozen lasagna that I get from my food supplier tastes WAY better than the Stouffer's frozen lasagna you buy in the grocery. I've no idea why .... I just know it is. It's like they make the good stuff for the restaurants and then say, "Oh the bottom of the barrel stuff! Just scrape it up and sell it to the housewives! They'll never know the difference!"

No wonder women hate kitchen work and housework. If every woman had access to the supplies (food, cleaning, etc) that I do, they'd LOVE housework and cooking.

Really. Not kidding.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:28am
post #12 of 15

wow....

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you SOOOO much everybody! I am breathing a sigh of relief over here. icon_smile.gif You're awesome.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I wrap in saran wrap only. I use the commercial grade saran (not the crap they sell in the grocery), and I usually only need one layer of saran.

icon_biggrin.gif

I purchase the plastic wrap sold in Sam's. It is amazing and lasts forever for me as I am not making 4 cakes a week or anything like that. I just wrap twice (or, one direction and then the opposite direction) and freeze (I never use foil) and the cakes come out perfect every time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #15 of 15

I use the Reynolds baking bags like for turkeys & roasts & stuff -- I double wrap my cakes in plastic wrap (from Sam's) and slide them into the baking bags--if it's a giant mombo cake I tape two bags together. I mean you can certainly re-use them too.

Bag lady thoughts for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%