Foam Core Board?????

Decorating By patiese1 Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 11:14am by Horselady

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hi wonderful CCers
I keep reading about foam core board. What is is? Where do you get it? Thanks in advance for the help.

4 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 5

I had to ask the same thingicon_smile.gif Foam core board is the poster board at crafts stores that have foam in them. Understand? I don't know if I explained that good enough...HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, it is poster board of two sides with a thin layer of styro inbetween them. It comes in several thicknesses.
Available at any art supply store. HobbyLobby; Michael's; etc.
Personally I don't like using it - mainly because I can *NEVER!* get it cut smoothly plus it is NOT pkg'd food safe. I prefer to use cake circles that are made for food use.

kitcae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitcae Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 5

Just wanted to say... be sure to cover your foamcore. I have never used foamcore (yet), but if you look in my posts under"How do you make ribbon cake boards" they'll tell you what you can use to cover your boards.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:14am
post #5 of 5

Wal mart happened to have some red on one side green on the other foam core that they put on clearance! I bought two sheets and cut two 14x14 squares glued them together and then covered with marble style contact paper. This is my base for my square cakes and I reuse it. (Not pro and only for friends or clubs I belong to). Anywar its about 1/2" thick and I never transport stacked so I love it. I have mesonite for the round base board but it is so thin.

As for between layers I just buy circles. Cutting them out takes way too much time! Hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%