Need Advice Assembling And Transporting A 3-Tier Cake - Pic

Decorating By tarascupcakes Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 1:44am by prterrell

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 10

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am transporting this cake tomorrow at 1:00 about 45 minutes away. It's all covered in pink fondant and decorated with white bows. I have the bows dried and ready to put on. I have not put the white, fondant ribbon around each tier yet, cause it looks like they are flush up against the tier below and it would be better to wait until the cake is assembled. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to travel with a 3 tier cake. It's a 10", 8" and 6" BTW. So do I do all this on site? Roll out fondant and put the ribbon on there. I am sure if I go ahead and put the ribbon on now, and then try to assemble tomorrow on site, I will mess up the ribbon with my spatula or something bad. Then what? I'm confused. Also, if I set it up on site, so I need to run a long dowel rod through the whole cake? They are going to eat the majority of it there at their home I believe.
LL

9 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 10

Make the bows, so that they dry. Cut out the ribbon, but keep it sealed in plastic wrap so it stays bendable.

Dowel the bottom 2 cakes, but transport unstacked. Stack when you get there. It shouldn't be much work, just stacking and attaching the ribbon and bows. You don't need a center dowel if it's staying put on the table you deliver and stack it on.

tarascupcakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylou

Make the bows, so that they dry. Cut out the ribbon, but keep it sealed in plastic wrap so it stays bendable.

Dowel the bottom 2 cakes, but transport unstacked. Stack when you get there. It shouldn't be much work, just stacking and attaching the ribbon and bows. You don't need a center dowel if it's staying put on the table you deliver and stack it on.

OMGoodness Amy! Thank you so much! That's the "plan" I made in my head too, but I wasn't sure if doing the ribbon that way would be dumb. I will definitely do that! My ribbons have been done for a week now. So they are more than dry. I am glad I don't really need to dowel through the entire cake cause that was making me nervous. Just keep your fingers crossed!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 10

I take and roll my fondant ribbon and put it on wax paper and put in a baggie, you have to cut the wax paper the width of the bow though, it keeps it from sticking on itself if you have a humid area. I always stack and dowel the two bottom layers so I just have to add the top one at the venue and someone can carry it in the car or I put it in the trunk. Hope this makes sense.

tarascupcakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I take and roll my fondant ribbon and put it on wax paper and put in a baggie, you have to cut the wax paper the width of the bow though, it keeps it from sticking on itself if you have a humid area. I always stack and dowel the two bottom layers so I just have to add the top one at the venue and someone can carry it in the car or I put it in the trunk. Hope this makes sense.

Ok debster...so you cut your strips of fondant ribbon each length for each tier and then lay them flat on a sheet of wax paper the same width and length as the strip and then tightly/snugly roll it up or loosely roll it up and put them in baggies?
I have transported a 2 tier ok, so maybe I'll just do them and then just have the little 6" on top to worry about.
Thanks!

debster Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 10

I do them loosely, but I don't think it would matter as long as the wax paper is keeping the fondant from touching itself. Good luck you'll do fine. Post a picture for us!!!!

tarascupcakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 10

I did just that! I loosely wrapped the strip of fondant in between 2 pieces of wax paper and then sealed it up in a gallon size Ziploc. It was perfect!
I decided to stack the bottom 2 tiers and then just put the top one on at the event. It all went smoothly.
They were ecstatic! The figurine was molded by another, wonderful, but retired caker here where I live. I am striving to make them though!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your help! It means everything to me! Really! Here's a pic.....
LL

debster Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #8 of 10

Wow how lovely!!!!!! See I knew you could do it.

tarascupcakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Wow how lovely!!!!!! See I knew you could do it.

Awww, thanks....That's a true compliment coming from you!
Thanks again for all your advice.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 10

Beautiful cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%