Advice?! Remote Wedding Destination-Transporting, Etc??????

Decorating By cmcarper Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 2:25am by JanH

cmcarper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcarper Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 3

Okay...where to start other than feeling like what the heck did I say yes to. Never done a wedding cake but said yes to my SIL. Remote wedding at a resort 5 hrs from home. Leaving Thursday but wedding is not until Saturday. Freezing cake layers this weekend but believe allowing them to thaw on the ride would be a mistake since I would not crumb coat until Friday. So, if I want to keep frozen is it okay to use dry ice?

Next...I am making triple chocolate, german chocolate and white chocolate (3 seperate cakes on rustic log stands). Can I be successful at making the icings & fillings a week ahead and keeping cold or will it affect the taste?

I am SO in over my head! Any advice is much appreciated!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, you could use dry ice - IF you can find it.
There would be no problem w/the cakes thawing on the ride but you can just fz gallon jugs of water (empty milk containers) and pack a couple of them wrapped in newspaper (the best insulation around). Put the cakes on top of them. That should help keep it cool in this weather.
The cakes will be just fine for that amount of time. They will be as fresh as the day you made them - even bettericon_smile.gif
Definitely go ahead and make the icing now (oh, you didn't say if it will be b'cream. I have kept b'c in the frig for up to 10 days w/o problems. (Yes, I use 1/2 real butter and it keeps.)
I don't know anything about making, using IMBC or SMBC - can't help there.
You can even crumb coat those cakes now if the filling is freezable. Since you didn't say what you are using for filling can't suggest how to keep it or how soon to make it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%