How Do You Get This Color?

Decorating By cet1187 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm by kakeladi

cet1187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cet1187 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 19

Hey all, I've been lurking for quite some time, and now I finally have a question!

I have to make a cake next week for a fundraiser for a mission trip. I want to make a cake that looks somewhat like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1327872

Can someone tell me what product that gold color is? I assume it's painted on royal icing, probably in a mixture of the color with alcohol or clear vanilla.

I really want this cake to look the best I can possibly make it, so any help would be great!

18 replies
kathyran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyran Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 19

Here is another picture from the person who made that cake. They tell you what it is in the description. [http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1483689.html] Edable Arts Royal Gold mixed with alchol then brushed on.

[/url]

cet1187 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks a bunch!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 19

Gold petal dust. There are several brands around. In the US it is not considered edible and any decorations that are made using it should be removed from the cake before being served.
I prefer to use vodka (or other clear alcohol - maybe white rum) as most clear vanillas DO NOT contain alcohol and will not give a nice smooth color.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Gold petal dust. There are several brands around. In the US it is not considered edible and any decorations that are made using it should be removed from the cake before being served.
I prefer to use vodka (or other clear alcohol - maybe white rum) as most clear vanillas DO NOT contain alcohol and will not give a nice smooth color.

even though it says edible gold in the name???

So what about these ones, are they edible?? They are the lustre dust premixed with alcohol

http://blossomsugarart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1011

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 19

I thought there are some that are edible and some that are not. Just have to make sure to get the right one.

cet1187 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #7 of 19
Quote:

There are several brands around. In the US it is not considered edible and any decorations that are made using it should be removed from the cake before being served.

Wow, I didn't know that! I'll be sure to look out for that!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:47am
post #8 of 19

CK makes an FDA approved Gold Dust, just make sure you brush it on yellow and not white:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630894

Elise87 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 19

I just have been looking up and my edible gold paint is labled food approved....that's makes me feel better lol

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #10 of 19

Gold petal dust is edible. Now gold leaf used for gilding is not. But there is some gold leaf that can be used for cake decorating & is edible as well. The only thing that is said about gold leaf is that it has no nutritional value.

kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 19

Perhaps things have changed since I haven't decorated actively for a couple of yrs. Back then it was NOT approved in the US.
........So what about these ones, are they edible?? They are the lustre dust premixed with alcohol
http://blossomsugarart.com/ind.....ts_id=1011.........

This is a UK company so it would not be acceptable in the US from my understandings.

I can't remember exactly what her name is but there is one company in the US who does have all approved dusts - don't know if she has gold - her name is Beth (Parvue I think or something similar).

Elise87 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:

This is a UK company so it would not be acceptable in the US from my understandings.

Yeh i live in Aust and sometimes our standards might be similar to the UK. It's imported by an Australian company that are saying it's food safe and maybe it's not accepted in the US because you might not import it so they just havn't approved it?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 19

Am I missing something and maybe your guys are talking about something different. Gold is edible. It's used to decorate food and you even see it an alcohol such as Gold Schlager. Gold petal dust has aways been edible. You just have to make sure you are not using gold leafing for gilding. The only thing that I can think that gets called into question is gold and silver dragees. Though edible, it is not recommended to be eaten, but removed. In some states, such as California, they are flat out illegal. Don't know why, but they are. In Virginia they are fine to have on cakes.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 19

I have found the best results when painting the gold luster dust/alcohol mix onto brown.

Elise87 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #15 of 19

Dragees are fine to eat here as far as i know, they always have been and was never told not to eat them. The one thing i cannot understand is that the australian 'vegemite' spread is illegal in the US icon_confused.gif........what the?

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #16 of 19

[quote="cet1187"]Hey all, I've been lurking for quite some time, and now I finally have a question!"

Cet1187...Don't worry...we all come out of the shadows eventually...Welcome!! icon_biggrin.gif

cet1187 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #17 of 19

Well, thank you! icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #18 of 19

the colors that are Beth's are Crystal Colors - she is out of Indiana. Her site is sugarpaste.com - she is very nice!

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #19 of 19

.........gold and silver dragees. Though edible, it is not recommended to be eaten, but removed. In some states, such as California, they are flat out illegal. Don't know why, but they are........

The sale of dragees is banned in CA (and other states) because of the 'heavy metals' used in their coating. These metals are not eliminated from the body and build up in your system causing poisoning.

Actually they have *never* been considered edibleicon_smile.gif If you have a container of them look at the label. They have *always* had a notation on the bottle something like: "For decoration only. Do not eat."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%