Ugh! Transformer Cake Travesty! And A Question...

Business By chikadodle Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 5:51am by rosiecast

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:45am
post #1 of 7

Ok, first thing -- this is disaster is completely my own fault in every way. Yes, I have learned my lesson from this fiasco!

On Wednesday, I took an order for a carved cake of Bumblebee from the new Transformers movie to be picked up Saturday (yes, tomorrow; cutting it tight, I know). At first, the client wanted two cakes, one of the car and the other of the Autobot. When I told her how many those would serve, she changed her mind and just ordered the Autobot.

Well, silly me, I had no idea how much Transformers had changed since I was a kid! After the customer placed the order, I went back to the kitchen and looked up the new Bumblebee. Oh my!!!! How times have changed! The new ones are so ridiculously intricate, I had no idea where to begin. I found a really nice buttercream version of a similar cake on Cakewrecks (Sunday Sweets) and decided to go with that idea. Today, carved the cake, no problem, off to a good start. How quickly and sharply it all went downhill...

I always use IMBC, no problem, but tonight it was all just blurring together into a big yucky blob. Scrape it off, start over. And so it went for several hours, at which point I called my husband (and co-owner of our bakery) and he came to help. Long story short, I did IMBC as a base, then did fondant accent overlays. It turned out so awful! I hate this cake!!!

Now I am debating what to do tomorrow when the woman comes to pick it up. Should I call her in the morning and let her know that I'm unhappy with it and tell her it's a freebie? That's my gut instinct. For the record, I grossly undercharged for this cake (initially thinking it was an easy cartoon-looking cake). Also, we are the higher-end bakery in our town. I really don't want our reputation to be ruined by chargingfor a cake I'm not proud of. I'm never going to sleep tonight worrying about this!

Thank you all for reading this lengthy rant! I read everyone's awesome advice daily and have learned so much from CC. Thank you all again!

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:55am
post #2 of 7

we really need a picture, so we can tell if it really is a terrible cake, slightly below your usual standard, or just your eyes not seeing how good it really is after all the problems.
otherwise, it is up to you.
xx

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:11am
post #3 of 7

A lot of times my perception of a difficult cake will cloud my judgment of how it really looks, if you could post a pic that would help. I've had more than one that went into the trash can and started over again, once I developed that hate-hate relationship with it. Good Luck Also remember she ordered awfully late for such an elaborate cake.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 7

I gave a coupon for a basket of Vday cookies to a church auction. (Well before the 14th). Naturally she waited until after the holiday and every single red deco was all used up. She stood firm on the hearts so long story short...they looked nasty, I apologised, never heard from her again. My advise....act stupid.

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone for your help. Believe it or not, when I came into work the next day, the staff at the bakery all looked at the cake and voted that it did look like a transformer. I decided to bring the customer her cake and gauge her reaction. She loved it! I could not have been more shocked. I didn't even take a picture, I despised that cake so much. So happy it's over! Thanks again!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikadodle

Thanks everyone for your help. Believe it or not, when I came into work the next day, the staff at the bakery all looked at the cake and voted that it did look like a transformer. I decided to bring the customer her cake and gauge her reaction. She loved it! I could not have been more shocked. I didn't even take a picture, I despised that cake so much. So happy it's over! Thanks again!

One of the chefs in my pastry program told us that when we felt like something wasn't that good, to remember that "people are very easily impressed." We're our own worst critics...

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:51am
post #7 of 7

Glad it worked out well in the end. Yes, I agree- things have changed since the times of our childhood cartoons. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%