Gumpaste Tiara Broke!! Help

Decorating By pinkbutterfly Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 1:50am by pinkbutterfly

pinkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbutterfly Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 6

I made a gumpast tiara. Beautiful until i touched it and it broke at all the seams. I tried super glue and tacky glue. nothing works. need it now. help!!

5 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #2 of 6

Do you have time to make a royal icing one and let it dry?? I wish that I could help but I have no other suggestions except going to buy a plastic one.

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 6

try gumglue. take gumpaste and add water - this should hold. Good luck>

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 6

I have made several of the gumpaste ones, and I only use gumglue. I have never had a problem at all with them, they are very tough. One thing I do is I MAKE SURE that there is gumglue at EVERY joint. Then I make sure to put it at every joint at the bottom - I also make a thick piece for the bottom edge to "tie" all of the loose edges of all the pieces to. (check the pic I post out - look close at the bottom of the tiara and you will see what I mean) Hope this helps.

I think the gumglue works best because it partially melds with the gumpaste pieces. One more thing - make sure your pieces you are working with are not drying before you mold them together - they need to be flexible and soft. I add some shortning to the gumpaste before making the "snakes" to make sure it it nice and smooth and flexible.
LL

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 6

i tried 2 royal icing crowns, the parchnent paper worked good, the first one broke, then when i read it takes about 3 coats throughtly dried, it started to come off great and then broke, if i make another one i'm using 50/50 when i did the ri, you have to be careful thin parts of the ri not dripped on the paper, it was either on here or wilton, where she showed how to make it in pieces and assemble, with 50/50 or fondant, i don't want to go throught that torture again just to have it break

pinkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbutterfly Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all of your suggestions. I ran out of time and had to give up on the quest. I will try one again and use the suggestions provided.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%