Candi Quik....is It Terrible?! Please Help!

Sugar Work By Callyssa Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm by Callyssa

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a white chocolate wrapped cake for tomorrow; actually it will be covered in shards or strips of white chocolate. I really don't have the time to get to a supply store, and I suspect most of this chocolate won't get eaten anyway as it's part of a progressive dinner and there will be many other desserts.

Will it be alright to use the Candi Quik, or will it just taste awful? I can't stand white chocolate so I can't be fair in judging! Will it hold up well for this purpose? Thanks for your help; I've been asking on the caking forums without a lot of response and it occurred to me that maybe the candy making forum was a better place! Duh!!! Anyway, thanks again!

2 replies
Callyssa Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 3

Anybody?? I really can't decide this for myself as I can't stand white chocolate! Please?

Callyssa Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 3

Well, I'll answer for myself, since nobody else did! Hopefully it will help someone else in my situation. I broke down and tasted both the candi quik and Nestle's white chocolate, and in MY opinion, they don't even belong in the same category.

The candi quik was gritty and much more transparent, and when I spread it on the acetate it leveled itself out; which is great, if that's what you want it to do. I didn't! I wanted the marks from my spatula to remain as I'm looking for a rustic, elegant look.

The white chips were creamy, smooth, tasted better, and I'm just overall much happier with them. I will now have to compare with good candy melts to see if they are a good alternative! So, hopefully someone else will benefit from my experimentation!

One thing I am noticing with the chips, and it could also be the same with the Candy Quik, is there is a definite color variation from bag to bag. The strips I made last night are a lot more off-white, creamy colored than the ones I made today with a different bag. So, to combat this for next time I will mix all my chips together first. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%