Satin Ribbon On A Bc Cake Will The Ribbon Look Stained?

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm by franskitchen1

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 10

A cake for tomorrow. The lady wants the satin ribbon wrapped around the bottom of each tier. But w/ this being a bc cake w/ the ribbon look stained from the butter? Should Wrap the cake w/ wax paper first? Any thoughts? thanks!

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 10

I would just take a little shortening on a paper towel and grease the ribbon before you put it on the cake, then it will have darkened evenly instead of getting spotty looking from the icing. That's what I did on this cake! You can see the difference between the dark pink ribbon the cake and the dark pink ribbon on the cake board...it will darken the ribbon a little. HTH
LL

CuttingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuttingCakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 10

Another option that takes more effort but keeps the color of the ribbon true is to cut strips of wax paper to wrap around the cake underneath the ribbon.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 10

yes, or you can lay the ribbon over top of some scotch tape or packaging tape and cut off the excess from either side.....however I find that with all of these methods you almost always manage to get the teeniest bit of spotting along the top and bottom of the ribbon even with the tape and wax paper there.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 10

I have done many ribbons on cakes and have never put anything on the ribbon. Let the cake crust well, I usually let it sit overnight then put ribbon on. Never had any staining.

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 10

I use packing tape and wait for the icing to crust - works like a dream

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 10

I don't use a crusting BC, but I line the back of my ribbon with clear contact paper. Apply it to a well chilled cake, the contact paper makes the ribbon sit up nice and stiff, doesn't sag, and when you take it off, no icing comes up with it. Pretty cool.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 10

Do a "spot test" on a small piece of ribbon first...that way, you'll know if it is going to darken the ribbon too much...and whether you'll have to protect the back of the ribbon.

Have fun!!

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone! I lined the back w/ tape just in case!

franskitchen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franskitchen1 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 10

What i have found that works great is I take the wax paper and with a low temp iron I iron the ribbon between the wax aper.This makes a nice covering for the satin ribbon and hardly makes any difference in the color of the ribbon. I ahve also put a sheer ribbon ov er the satin ribbon this helps to cover ant spots with two layers. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%