Mega Cake - 850 Servings, 10 Tiers!!!!

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm by purplecakediva

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I have seen fondant rolled out huge look at the work Christopher Garren does.

If I can go off-subject for just a sec . . . I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought that guy's name was Christopher Garren!!! I watched a rerun of Food Network Challenge tonight and they introduced him as "Chris Russom." So, I googled it and, sure enough, just the name of the bakery is Christopher Garren's. Go figure!! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, back to the HUGE cake ~~ I can hardly wait to see how this plays out!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:05am
post #32 of 41

I am envious and would KILL to have the chance to do a cake like this! Not for the money ... for the bragging rights! icon_biggrin.gif

I also hate sheet/kitchen cakes. The idea of "secret" cakes hidden in the kitchen makes my a$$ tired. And if you cut the cake Debi's way, you can FLY thru the cake cutting. As a matter of fact, while in Vegas a couple of years ago at the Bakers Assoc Convention, one of the speakers talked about this cutting method and how the people helping her with the plates couldnt' keep up with her. I volunteered that I'd been cutting cakes like this for 20 years and I can cut/serve a wedding for 200 by myself within minutes. No long lines ... no waiting.

If you can get ahold of an old Wilton hardback book with the yellow cover (anyone with a scanner got a copy?), there are LOTS of super big cakes in it that are created by using 4 squares of 10" cakes as the base (to build a 20x20 cake), etc. ( I drool when I look thru this book!)

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:43am
post #33 of 41

this is going to be awesome, i do hope you get the order so you can share with us all that you learn from doing such a huge cake. Me personally, i think i would recruit a couple of my other cake decorating friends to work on this with me. I can even imagine baking that much cake. good luck!!!!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:57am
post #34 of 41

Pease ..Please ..Please can i come to help and watch? I will take lots of pics of you building this cake! Who will take it apart to serve? I could see it ending up on the floor!

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 10:47am
post #35 of 41

I too like the offset idea on pg 2. On a cake this large it would really give that spiral/moving effect that is so impressive. Just my 2 cents.

Also kudos to you for taking this on! So much work. Do you have a helper? I know how long it takes me to decorate three-four tiers, can't imagine 10. That is like three wedding cakes (or more since bottom is so b ig) in one weekend!

How intricate is the design she wants and how much of it can you do in advance? Sorry I've already forgotten the details of pg 1.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:52am
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I am envious and would KILL to have the chance to do a cake like this! Not for the money ... for the bragging rights! icon_biggrin.gif

I also hate sheet/kitchen cakes. The idea of "secret" cakes hidden in the kitchen makes my a$$ tired.

Yeah, I mean why not make a wedding cake--let's do kitchen cakes for the cafeteria.

Quote:

If you can get ahold of an old Wilton hardback book with the yellow cover (anyone with a scanner got a copy?), there are LOTS of super big cakes in it that are created by using 4 squares of 10" cakes as the base (to build a 20x20 cake), etc. ( I drool when I look thru this book!)

Yeah--that's what I was doing to get the servings--multiplying four 10-inch cakes, four 11-inch cakes etc. That was a ton of fun!

But double triple check my math, Tubbs!

Did they get back with you yet?? What are they waiting on??? just kidding icon_lol.gif
The suspense is killing me!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #37 of 41
Quote:

And if you cut the cake Debi's way, you can FLY thru the cake cutting.

What is "Debi's way" of cutting? I would love to improve on my cake cutting skills.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:30pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by online_annie

Quote:

And if you cut the cake Debi's way, you can FLY thru the cake cutting.

What is "Debi's way" of cutting? I would love to improve on my cake cutting skills.

http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

dusty828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dusty828 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #39 of 41

What if you did as many tiers as possible...and if you can't get 850 servings from the ten tiers...instead of pushing your luck with, just have plain sheet cakes waiting behind the scenes to be served after they cut the cake

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty828

What if you did as many tiers as possible...and if you can't get 850 servings from the ten tiers...instead of pushing your luck with, just have plain sheet cakes waiting behind the scenes to be served after they cut the cake

See "10 square offset tiers" and "850 servings" are two different ways to order a cake. So you can't always combine the two --so the client has to decide which is more important.

I mean I think they should get a wedding cake.

But if they are set on 10 square offset tiers and 850 servings--this is where 'kitchen cakes' could become a necessity which would be annoying because they need to let the cake designer loose so she can fly for them.

But when they choose a distinct geometric design and won't budge on servings then you just gotta get real and explain why it's often impossible.

Welcome to CC, Dusty!

purplecakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplecakediva Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #41 of 41

GOOD LUCK!!!! Hopefully you get this job and that would be a big notch to add to the belt buckle!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%