Cake Base(Board) Coverings?????

Decorating By cakeymom Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm by grandmom

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 5

I see so many cakes with beautifully covered boards that are so smooth. Is it covered in fondant???

I tried it and it was a hot mess. So I just threw it out. I tried to use the foam core covered with fondant that I added tylose to.

What the heck icon_confused.gif did I do wrong????

Thanks for any help,

cakeymom

4 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 5

I use regular fondant without adding any tylose. When you say a "hot mess", what exactly went wrong? Were you using poured fondant?

I just roll out regular fondant in whatever color, and apply it to the slightly moistened cake base, just as if it were cake! I smooth it with smoothers just as if it were cake. Sometimes I use the smoothers to wear away the excess at the edge of the board, then trim the edge with ribbon; other times I turn the fondant under, covering the entire board.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

It is also best to do it ahead of time--that way it dries hard so you don't get any indentations incase you accidentally touched or such.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry, when I said, "Hot Mess" I meant it went really, badly wrong. I think my board was too wet and the fondant separated and had a hole it that I tired to fix. Just a true mess.

I'll give it another try. Are you using the foam core? What is the thickness of your board? If not what type of board do you use.

Thanks,

cakeymom

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 5

I've covered wood, cardboard and foamcore in fondant. I covered the wood and cardboard with foil first. It's all the same techique. Just slightly dampen the board, whatever it's made of. Just slightly. Like rub a damp paper towel over it, or mist it, or brush sparingly.

I typically roll the fondant a tad bit thicker than I would for covering a cake, but having said that, different folks use different fondants and of different thicknesses. Just don't go too thin.

Tell ya a secret...

I despise Wilton's fondant for eating, but it handles beautifully. If I want to cover the board in plain white, I use Wiltons. No one is going to eat the board covering anyway.

Edited to add that the wood and foamcore were 1/2 inch thick, the cardboard just doubled cake rounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%