White White Fondant

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm by Sugarflowers

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 17

I have been making my own fondant, but feel like it is just not that white. I first used MFF, but it's naturally an off-white. I tried adding a little Americolor white to a little piece, but it didn't seem to change the color one bit. I am going to make MMF this time, which I think will be whiter, but should I add some white color to it too?

Thanks!

16 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 17

I make MFF with real vanilla and mine has always been white. The cake with the gerbs on it was MFF. Pretty pure white to me with no addition of coloring.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 17

Are you using clear vanilla? That will make a big difference if you are not. I make mmf with clear flavorings and it is a nice white color.

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 17

This is interesting! I did use clear everything, but mine came out off-white. You can see the photo in my photos, but it came out nothing like the Lurvely's cake (which is adorable, btw!). I wonder if I overcooked the gelatin/butter mixture, seeing that was about the only thing that wasn't clear when I mixed it in. Maybe I'll have better luck with the MMF.

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 17

I have made two batches of the MMF and both times it was more of an off white color. I also used clear vanilla....I was wondering the same thing!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 17

I make MFF and use real vanilla extract. The fondant does come out off-white. I've been wondering if white coloring would help, and if so, how much. I really don't want to switch to clear vanilla.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 17

Adding powdered white food color might help a little bit and the powdered stuff in the large jars is fairly inexpensive. Using petals dusts would be very expensive and would probably take an entire container. The powdered white color that I get are Candy & Cake Colors by CK Products.

HTH

Michele

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymel13

This is interesting! I did use clear everything, but mine came out off-white. You can see the photo in my photos, but it came out nothing like the Lurvely's cake (which is adorable, btw!). I wonder if I overcooked the gelatin/butter mixture, seeing that was about the only thing that wasn't clear when I mixed it in. Maybe I'll have better luck with the MMF.

Yeah, I don't know. Never had this problem. And the liquid mixture is definitely coffee colored going into the mix. But white as snow when it's all done!

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Adding powdered white food color might help a little bit and the powdered stuff in the large jars is fairly inexpensive. Using petals dusts would be very expensive and would probably take an entire container. The powdered white color that I get are Candy & Cake Colors by CK Products.

HTH

Michele

So am I doing something wrong if mine isn't off white?!? Lol...if so, I'm not changing anything. icon_lol.gif

grandmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 17

Sugarflowers (are you THE Michele??)

I can only find small jars of that powdered food coloring online. Not a business, so can't buy it from CK Products in the larger quantities.

I have no idea how much to buy or try. Can you take a guess at about how much powdered white coloring it might take for a batch of fondant?

Thanks in advance!

Sugarflowers Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:03am
post #11 of 17

I don't know if I am THE Michele, I am A Michele and I am giving tips on my fondant recipe.

My guess on the amount of white food color to use is probably about 1 Tbsp. This should be enough to make the fondant more white. I've noticed that the color of the gelatin will make a difference in the color. Using non-dairy creamers might change the color as well.

I don't usually add white to my fondant because it starts to look artificial to me. Replacing 1 Tbsp. of gelatin with 1 Tbsp. of Tylose made my last batch a few shades whiter than normal.

Most people aren't going to notice the difference between egg shell white and white white. This is just my opinion. I also don't think people pay enough for minor differences in color. Coloring small amounts might be a good idea if you need a true color for a specific decoration.

HTH

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:21am
post #12 of 17

Oh, I forgot. I added the Tylose to the powdered sugar and NOT the liquid. Tylose turns to gel much to quickly and will leave lumps in the fondant. I discovered this the hard way. icon_smile.gif

Michele

grandmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:40am
post #13 of 17

Yep, if MFF is your recipe, then that makes you THE Michele! I love this recipe for fondant - so tasty and easy to work with - never any wrinkling or elephant skin, never any sagging or stretching.

Thanks for the additional information and tips. I truly appreciate your help.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 17

I found using the jar of marshmallow cream makes a really nice white fondant...whiter than when using regular marshmallows and the same flavorings. So when i need REALLY white, I grab a jar rather than a bag!

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I found using the jar of marshmallow cream makes a really nice white fondant...whiter than when using regular marshmallows and the same flavorings. So when i need REALLY white, I grab a jar rather than a bag!

Great Tip THANKS!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #16 of 17

Whenever I use clear vanilla and the fondant turns out white white - it seems like every single imperfection is magnified so I actually prefer to add brown vanilla rather than clearicon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysmoother

Whenever I use clear vanilla and the fondant turns out white white - it seems like every single imperfection is magnified so I actually prefer to add brown vanilla rather than clearicon_smile.gif

I agree with you on this one. The really white fondant really shows every flaw. I guess it reflects a lot more light than the off-white. I also think it looks a little more elegant.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%