Simple Syrup

Decorating By lanaooo Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm by lanaooo

lanaooo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanaooo Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing at 12" square cake with the 3d bear cake on top of it. They base cake came out dryer than I would like. I tried to bake it a little longer so I wouldn't have any issues with it holding up under the weight of the bear.

I have heard of people using simple syrup on their cakes to make them moist. My question is will this make the cake less likely to old the weight of the bear. I plan on using dowels but still don't want it to lean or sink. The bear is pretty moist.

Does the simple syrup normally help? How much do you put on?

Thanks! This is my first baby shower cake and I don't want to serve a dry cake...or one that is falling over icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 7

Are you putting supports in between tiers?

The supports are the one that holds the upper tier.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

The bottom cake doesn't hold up the top cake, the inner supports (dowels, legs of the SPS) do.

lanaooo Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 7

I was just going to put dowels but then I saw today an example of where someone used the plastic supports and a top tier board (not sure what it is really called) as a support. I think I am just going to do this.

Thanks

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #5 of 7

Still, whatever you use, the bottom cake is *not* supporting the cake bear. The support system - whatever it is - is the support.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 7

Don't forget to place the bear on a cake board too.

lanaooo Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry to sound so stupid icon_wink.gif good news is I came out good and made it to the baby shower thanks for your suggestions

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%