How Do You Put Butter Cream On Dummy

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 4:04am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 14

It is so light it wont set still.....I keep sticking fingers in where I have it nice grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

13 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #2 of 14

I would try one of the following between the cake board and the dummy: icing
chocolate
double sided tape
glue etc

I'm sure others may have other suggestions as well.

madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #3 of 14

Its not on the cake board that I have the problem.....its sitting still to spread the darn stuff on........its so light weight....it moves with the spatula whether its on a board or not

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 14

Same problem here Madge.....................I HATE doing dummies with fondant or icing.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 14

I put the foam on the cake board with melted chocolate. I then take a few loops of packing tape and secure the board to the turn table. Small loops work best and use a few to prevent sliding. They are a pain but have their uses.

madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:08am
post #6 of 14

Oh thats a good idea I will have to try that........my cake dummy is a mess, don't know if I will use it haha...although thats almost the entire cake so far.........other cakes got soupy weird with that darn butter cream I tried grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:23am
post #7 of 14

You stick toothpicks or skewers into another dummy that IS taped down to the turntable. Then jam the dummy you are icing down on top of the skewers. That sucker ain't going anywhere.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 14

What I do is glue or duct tape the dummy to a cake board, then I just use non slip liner on the turn table - not to hard then.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

What I do is glue or duct tape the dummy to a cake board, then I just use non slip liner on the turn table - not to hard then.

exactly.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 14

lurvely I love that idea! Bring out the heavy weaponry. I just do what Loucinda said. My problem is I used Royal Icing and I had a devil of a time trying to get it smooth. I never did get it completely smooth. Do you HAVE to sand it. Gosh I hope not cause I have a bunch of different sizes and shapes I want to do to practice on. By the way, if I decorate a hardened royal iced dummy cake with buttercream, will the buttercream melt the Royal. Sorry Madge, not trying to hijack your thread.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 14

I dunno. I don't do BC dummies unless it's part of an actual order. And I've never used RI. I've never needed to sand one either, but if I am doing a fondant dummy, i order the prerounded corner ones from Tay lor Foam. Had to separate the letters there or it gets blocked. For BC dummies, I buy the regular ones for the sharp edges.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #12 of 14

Yes, I've had same darn problem with these dummies! I was sooo excited to get them and with shipping and all paid close to $30....Tried using a few times, got frustrated and they've been in the closet since! They were just too light to work with and as soon as I would get one small part done I'd end up putting my fingers in it! Guess I need to get them back out and try these methods!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #13 of 14

this is the problem i had. the 4 inch was killer! i suffered through and didn't even think about taping them down. DUH ADREANNA! *palm meet forehead*

thanks for the tips everyone!

madgeowens Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:04am
post #14 of 14

I iced a cake board and stuck the dummy to that and then used a silkpat whatever, non skid jigger, and the freaking thing still moved..............I can fondant them but not bc..........I am going for the drill next time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%