Filling For Pumpkin Cake?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 4:09am by emlashlee

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 10

I need a shelf-stable filling for a pumpkin cake and don't know what would be really tasty with that flavor. Any ideas? I'm making a tiered, fondant-covered Halloween cake for next weekend. (Yes, I know that I can refrigerate fondant, but my fridge just isn't big enough for this one.)

9 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure, but almost 100% that Lorann has a cheesecake flavoring. You could add that to your bc to flavor it. Cream cheese icing always goes great with pumpkin, so maybe it would give it that type of flavor?

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 10

I made the Heavenly Pumpkin Cake here at CC. I pressed toasted pecans into the batter, baked it and then cooked 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a pan till bubbly and then cooked it 1 minute more. When it came out of the oven, I poured it over the cake. Yummy. I guess that would be shelf stable, wouldn't it? Pretty high ratio of sugar.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I'm not sure, but almost 100% that Lorann has a cheesecake flavoring. You could add that to your bc to flavor it. Cream cheese icing always goes great with pumpkin, so maybe it would give it that type of flavor?

You could also use 2 Tbsp Cheesecake Instant Pudding with some pumpkin spice in it. OR how about using the seasonal Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding in your buttercream?

Good Luck!

Beth in KY

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:42am
post #5 of 10

Makeminepink:

So you made a kind of caramel-type sauce that sunk into the cake? Did I get that right? I guess that could work, but I'd miss the pretty presentation of the filling between cake layers when cut. A caramel filling is a good idea.

Callyssa:

The cheesecake filling idea is a good one, too. Unfortunately, I don't have a good cake store close and have to order off the internet. I don't think I'll have time to get it in. Pooh!

Thanks for your ideas! icon_smile.gif

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

You could also use 2 Tbsp Cheesecake Instant Pudding with some pumpkin spice in it. OR how about using the seasonal Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding in your buttercream?

Good Luck!

Beth in KY

Oh, oh - that sounds great! Thanks so much bethola!!! icon_smile.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #7 of 10

It doesn't really "sink" and it is kind of a praline type taste. It actually goes on some apple bread that my daughter makes, but I thought it would make a good filling for this cake!

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

It doesn't really "sink" and it is kind of a praline type taste. It actually goes on some apple bread that my daughter makes, but I thought it would make a good filling for this cake!

Oh that sounds yummy! I've never made anything like that mixture so I couldn't picture the consistency. Thanks a lot for your help, Makeminepink.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:32am
post #9 of 10

Try the Pumkin Pecan Spread from Williams-Sonoma combined with cream cheese buttercream. We had it at work today on top of pumpkin bread and it was DELISH!!!

emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:09am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Try the Pumkin Pecan Spread from Williams-Sonoma combined with cream cheese buttercream. We had it at work today on top of pumpkin bread and it was DELISH!!!

I looked it up on the W-S website and it did look yummy! I wonder how long cream cheese BC can be out of the refrigerator? Hmmm...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%