Can I Use White Chocolate Chips Instead Of Candy Melts?

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 4:36am by Callyssa

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a cake with a white chocolate wrap tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I can use white chocolate chips instead of candy melts? Will they give the same, or better results? Which tastes better? I'm not a white chocolate girl so they both taste gross to me! Thanks for your help!

Oh, one other thing I forgot to ask about; I have acetate...I know that's what I should use to do a wrap, but I'm actually going to try chocolate shards, so would I still use that, or parchment, or even waxed paper? Which gives the best results? Thanks again!

7 replies
three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:21am
post #2 of 8

I dont know what a "wrap" is, but i make cake balls which require candy melts and I cant get them here. I use white chocolate or brown chocolate. I tried using chocolate chips and although they taste nice they dont hold up and melt pretty fast. I then switched to a melting chocolate (had to experiment) until I found one I liked. When I use my white chocolate (im not a white choc person either) it works ok but I dohave to double dip sometimes or else i can see through it. I'm sure if I had access to candy melts it would be a lot better. Im having some shipped in from the US and am excited about it, apparantly it will make things a lot easier.
I also color my white chocolate when needed.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 8

As for the white chocolate, I use it all the time. I actually never use candy melts for chocolate wraps.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

As for the white chocolate, I use it all the time. I actually never use candy melts for chocolate wraps.

Me too. But if the cake is to be held at room temperature I temper the chocolate first. If it's for refrigerated cakes, I'm not as careful about tempering.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 8

Either will work but if you don't work with chocolate much candy melts are a bit easier in my opinion. They tend to set up faster and harder. I use the acetate for any kind of chocolate work. I have a wedding cake in my pics that I used a wrap on. They are not shards but layered at different hights. Check it out if you think it might help.

Callyssa Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 8

Ohhhh.....didn't think about the white chips actually being chocolate!! (I know technically they're not, but you know what I mean....) Now I remember why I bought a bag of melts last year! I don't have anymore though and had the chips on hand so figured, why not?

I do NOT want to have problems of ANY kind with this cake; it's for my friend who lives in a very prestigious neighborhood and my first opportunity to meet alot of the business people in our town. I won't be doing cakes for them in the future, but my name will still be associated with THIS cake so it can't have problems! This is why I've chosen to do the cake with white chocolate shards or strips actually; it will cover any imperfections, have great presentation and I won't be stressing at all about it....unless the chocolate melts!

So, on that note, since the nearest cake supply store is over an hour away and I don't want to battle traffic to get there, should I use the Wilton melts, or the white block in the grocery store...can't remember the name? Bark?

MISTERC....awesome cakes!!! Your layered white chocolate cake is fantastic, but I know that would be a lot more difficult to do, if I even could! I'd LOVE to learn how to do that though, it's such an elegant look! Do you have any tips or suggestions if/when I try that technique?

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 8

Callyssa- I posted a thread in the forum with instructions. Here is the link.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-589527-.html

Callyssa Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:36am
post #8 of 8

thank you so much! I'm going to print off your instructions for future reference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%