Is This Is Right Way To Make Cholocate Buttercream

Baking By marion123 Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 9:07am by brincess_b

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

Hello.. I have a quick question.. I have always made the Wilton Buttercream that I learned in Wilton class (Shortening, Water, Vanilla Extract & Conf. Sugar) If I want to make Chocolate Buttercream, do I just add some non sweeting Coco mix from herseys'?

Thank you so much

8 replies
Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 9

I add cocoa until it is the right taste and/or color, you will also need a little extra liquid, I use milk though not water.

marion123 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 9

thank you so much!!!

I had a feeling that was what I did, but I wasn't sure.. If I have a batch that is already made of white buttercream, do you think I could take a small bit in the mixer and add the coco? I just need enough for a 6 inch cake.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 9

I use the Wilton buttercream icing recipe. It says to add 3/4 cup of the hershey's cocoa but I experimented with it and I like it better with just 1/2 cup. Its not as strong.

marion123 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 9

thanks so much.. Do you think I can add the coco podwer to a small batch of buttercream that is already made? i just made it 2 days ago and I just need enough for a 6 inch cake.. I thought I could put it back in the mixer.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, that will be fine. Just add a few tablespoons of the cocoa powder at a time with a teaspoon or so of milk until you get the chocolate depth you want.

marion123 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 9

thank you, thank you!!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 9

You can also use melted chocolate & add it to your white icing. If you icing tastes chocolatey enough but is not brown enough add brown icing color. thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:07am
post #9 of 9

also, i love to sue chocolate milk instead of the regular stuff!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%