Leftover Cake Scraps -- But Not Cake Balls?

Decorating By kjskid Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm by cutthecake

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 25

I haven't really liked the cake balls I've made. Too much icing/cake ratio. So are there any other ideas out there on what to do with leftover cake scraps?

24 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 25

Make a triffle... cake layer, fruit layer, then some pudding or whipped cream.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 25

Mix up a batch of chocolate mousse (packaged works well, and it comes in other flavors); fold in some Cool Whip or whipped cream; crumble up some Heath or SKOR bars; crumble up the cake; mix it all together.......and you have a trifle sort of thing, without fruit.
This is a good way to use up cake flops, too.
My family loves this. When it's all chocolate cake and mousse, it's called Death by Chocolate.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 25

Oh thats what I was gonna say, trifle! mmmmm. You can also toast them and make cake "croutons" to have on top of ice cream or pudding. My family just likes to eat em. But as far as another saleable idea...not sure.

kjskid Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 25

Oooh, trifle! What an awesome idea! It doesn't have to be saleable, it's just for our family, but who wants to eat a heap of scraps? Well, at least, all of them? icon_wink.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 25

Fold them into your left over Butter cream for an Oreo Cookies and cream flavored BC. It's a wonderful filling and is much less sweet! I have used both Vanilla cake and chocolate cake at the same time-it's soo good.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 25

I don't care for the cake balls made with icing either. I made a batch and mixed WASC with plain cream cheese (not frosting) and a few mini chocolate chips dipped in semisweet chocoate and another batch made with WASC and plain cream cheese mixed with lemon curd dipped in white chocoate (the stuff with cocoa butter, not the bark). These weren't as sweet. I tried once with the white candy bark - but that stuff is too sweet for me. So I am now a fan of cake balls as long as they aren't made with icing.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 25

My DH loves the cake scraps in a bowl with ice cream....we've both put on toooo many pounds eating that concoction

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:21am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Oooh, trifle! What an awesome idea! It doesn't have to be saleable, it's just for our family, but who wants to eat a heap of scraps? Well, at least, all of them? icon_wink.gif

Are you kidding? At my house, I just yell "Cake Scraps!" and they're gone in about 5 minutes!

Once my son's two friends were over, I had an entire bowl of cuttings from a 3-D cake, and I just gave it to the three of them and told them to go outside to eat it. They came back in about 30 seconds with the empty bowl. icon_lol.gif

turtlemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #10 of 25

I put my leftover scraps in a baggy and pass them out to my family, they love free cake even if it is just scraps! Sometimes I have to send a little bit of icing with them too! But it gets them out of my house so I dont eat them!!! icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #11 of 25

http://www.earlenescakes.com/CakeCrumbRecipes.htm

Ok I have to say that my family LOVES the Cake Crumb Cookie recipe by Sharon Briggs (on the bottom), I just tweaked it a little...

I omit the cinnamon and the cloves. I use 3/4 cup of brown sugar instead of 2/3. Add a handful or two of semi sweet chocolate chips and ooooohhhh my lord my mouth is watering already. They are so melt in your mouth good.

My mom makes the same thing but add the spices and a chopped fine apple, when they come out she tops them with a little cinnamon icing or dusts with ps. Awesomely delicious!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #12 of 25

Trash. They go straight in the trash.

kjskid Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

LOL! icon_lol.gif I don't do quite as many cakes as you, though, maybe 1 a month.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:32am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Quote:

LOL! icon_lol.gif I don't do quite as many cakes as you, though, maybe 1 a month.

Oh that makes a difference! icon_biggrin.gif

Tues & Wed, I baked a total of 27 cakes for the weddings I have this weekend. LOTTA trim-jobs in that one .... and I'm not eating them in any way, shape or form! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cre8_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8_acake Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #15 of 25

I personally trash my scraps. I have a fear that if I attempt to eat anything other than whats intended for me will go straight to my hips!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:07am
post #16 of 25

What to do with the scraps has been the million dollar question around here forever! I recently moved into a complex with lots of kids and teens. They line up or try to come sneaking by to find any kind of left overs I have. They watch me like a hawk going in and out. They are willing to help me carry things, make things, deliver cakes or even just throw trash to get those extra's, lol. I've got the cheapest best labor force in town. haha!

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:57am
post #17 of 25
Quote:

I Agree!!!

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 25

If they're a good size chunk (from 3D carving. etc) I give them away to neighbors, co-workers. If they're really just trimmings I let them sit out and dry out (usually overnight is enough) and crush them and then I use them in place of graham cracker crumbs for pies, cheesecakes, etc. You can freeze them until you have enough, thaw completely wrapped how you froze them and then toast them up in a frying pan to remove excess moisture if necessary.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 25

For white, and yellow cakes. Let them dry out JUST A TAD toss into mixer add almond extract for faux almond paste. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

My DH loves the cake scraps in a bowl with ice cream....we've both put on toooo many pounds eating that concoction

This is what my husband does. He loves it!!

LizzyLaw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyLaw06 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #21 of 25

i've tried to ball them up and coat them in egg and toss them into the deep fryer, but all i tasted was the egg. i want to try with a graham cracker coating sometime and see if that is any better.

what i have done that worked well and tastes great is balled up with or without icing and dip in melted chocolate. mmmm

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #22 of 25

I have used bc icing to bind the cake balls. But what I use more is coffee creamer. Some of my favorites are white chocolate mocha and chocolate raspberry.(Inter Del White bottle) I use about 1/2 cup in cake from 1 box mix.

Hope this helps.

cutthecake Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:27pm
post #23 of 25

Mike,
Then what do you do with the faux almond paste? Does it behave like real almond paste?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:34pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Mike,
Then what do you do with the faux almond paste? Does it behave like real almond paste?

For the most part. You'll be able to use it in recipes, and such. For texture wise it's hard to say because of the texture of the cake. For the cost factor it's certainly worth experimantation. If you have some almond meal it adds an extra lil kick also.

Mike

cutthecake Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #25 of 25

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%