Wish People Knew The Price Of Cake

Decorating By Linda5606 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 11:34am by -K8memphis

Linda5606 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda5606 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:23am
post #1 of 8

i got a call from my sister who was calling for a guy at her work. he wanted a large 2 d deer cake for this weekend. since i don't have a cake this weekend i quoted him 125.

his response to my sister when she told him the price? who'd you call ace of cakes?

i only wish i was that good and i could charge like that

they need to mention more how much some of the cakes on the show cost
linda

7 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:25am
post #2 of 8

Tell that a@@hole, no. Then the price would have started at $1000. And I agree, I wish they would put a rpice next to each cake they show on t.v.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 8

Tell your sister to suggest he go to the Duff's website and check out their min amount on a cake order. I do believe it is $1000. And that would be for the smaller stuff not the 3D stuff.

You don't need this order or to deal with him.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Tell that a@@hole, no. Then the price would have started at $1000. And I agree, I wish they would put a rpice next to each cake they show on t.v.

Agree.

And this is why I created a Word document, that i send out with every new inquiry, entitled "HOW much are those cakes on TV?"

I've cut-n-pasted links, articles, photos, AND PRICES of the tv cakes. So when they see an $8000 price tag on a Cake Boss cake, then my $450 doesn't look half bad!

I'm happy to share the document with anyone who wants it. EMAIL me (not a PM, please).

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:23am
post #5 of 8

To many people 'the price of cake', as you so aptly put it, is $20 for a sheet cake out of the case at the grocery store.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:56am
post #6 of 8

[quote="indydebiAnd this is why I created a Word document, that i send out with every new inquiry, entitled "HOW much are those cakes on TV?"

I've cut-n-pasted links, articles, photos, AND PRICES of the tv cakes. So when they see an $8000 price tag on a cake, then my $450 doesn't look half bad![/quote]

You came up with a great idea there, Debi!! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:25am
post #7 of 8

There is hope for the TV shows. The other day I was watching Ace of Cakes and Katherine randomly said, "I can't let this cake get wet. It's a $1500 wedding cake"!

It was a 4 tier round, with a few billboard signs of where they have travelled to.

That was the first time I've ever heard them say the price (although I know it says on their website that they start at $1000.

Anyway, I thought that was good news for the cake world!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:34am
post #8 of 8

And this multi faceted riptide is why I do not engage clients in the scratch versus mix debate.
It's hard enough to get them up to speed with prices--yes?

It's hard enough to get us up to speed with prices.
No, you're kidding! icon_lol.gif
Wish I wa-as.

Saving them (trying to) from the staircase...one slinkie at a time...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%