Airbrush Compressor Psi Question

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 10:27am by Melba10

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #1 of 8

My compressor has a dial for the psi.

What is a good approximate range for the psi, so I don't blow holes in cakes?

My airbrush class was tonight and very good btw. Unfortunately, the instructor works with a KopyKake and it doesn't have that kind of dial. I told her no worries, I'll ask you guys!

I also have a dual action brush if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

7 replies
UberSpoonyG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UberSpoonyG Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:38am
post #2 of 8

Hi Mary Anne!
It is wise to use no higher then 20 PSI"s unless you need a higher pressure for some specail effect.
I myself prefer highly a double action Airbrush for mucho mucho more air and paint control. Paint lightly and quickly to lessen the chance of air-devits in cake icing.
Good luck in your endeavors with a airbrush,you will find that it has way more possibilities then I have witnessed over the world wide web and I know you will realise that quickly with a little tutoring like you have been getting.

Live to Paint, Paint to Live ! icon_biggrin.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:10am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony-G

Hi Mary Anne!
It is wise to use no higher then 20 PSI"s unless you need a higher pressure for some specail effect.
I myself prefer highly a double action Airbrush for mucho mucho more air and paint control. Paint lightly and quickly to lessen the chance of air-devits in cake icing.
Good luck in your endeavors with a airbrush,you will find that it has way more possibilities then I have witnessed over the world wide web and I know you will realise that quickly with a little tutoring like you have been getting.

Live to Paint, Paint to Live ! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your answer.

I'm calling my brush a dual action, when maybe I should say a double action. I can push down on the top get a little spray or pull back and get tons of spray.

Your answer is really a huge help. The instructor had to manipulate the air pressure to get her effects. She had a choice of low or high. So maybe she has a single action brush.

If I getting this right, you're saying set the compressor at 20psi and figure out how to use the trigger properly.

My needle also adjusts it's length. I don't know why this is important, but it supposedly is an extra bonus according to one of the hot shots from the company, I purchased the equipment from. Being clueless, I'm thinking more fine tuning of the spray.

Those of you reading and wanting to know the company.

airbrushcity.com

They were bought out by galaxyairbrush.com

A P.S.; there was a woman in my class, she had the exact same compressor, but purchased from a different company.

Her brush was a double action, but shiny gold. The compressor had a coil hose and a braided hose. She had a 'real' manufacturer's box, with the total 4 color business all over it. Her brush had a small cup, but no way to adjust the needle.

Other after thoughts, my brush the GD102 has a massive paint cup and I found out if I don't get the color directly into the hole feeding the needle; it does take 30 minutes to clean the sucker. The company says they are going green so they don't provide instructions for anything. The woman, who had the exact same compressor I have didn't get instructions either. You must download from the web. The instructions aren't in PDF files, since I'm a computer idiot, I will have to print off, laminate and hopefully get them into my cake binders.

I supposedly have a lifetime warranty. Today's economy, that sort of claim must be viewed warily.

Am i going to purchase another brush from these people, yes as soon as I figure out how to get one of my relatives to pay for it and give it to me before Christmas.

Their beginner compressor, actually rocks in my book. It only runs when it needs it's full back pressure. It goes up to 100psi. It's adjustable so as long as you can get to a 3 prong outlet and have some couplers on hand; it can be used for other things.

There is another company that is selling basically what I purchased, but maybe some extra stuff and maybe a little less cash. I don't know the website address but the company name I believe is TCP Global.

If you've made it this far; I would still appreciate some feedback on the psi settings and whatever else I should think about.

Thanks

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 8

PSI should be around 18-20. TCP Gloabal also has a great video for beginning airbrushing on cakes.

UberSpoonyG Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 8

Hey Ho Gomo!
Now thats what I'm talking about,good questions with serious intent.......My pardon,you can say dual or double action Airbrush,I think I didnt catch that you said that.
..... hummmm,either dual action or single, if your air pressure is above 20 PSI's it will be somewhat difficult to get much control because of all the blow-out divits that a high air pressure will do WITH CAKES,still,no matter what type,even a lower pressure helps with tighter detail.....I sometimes more my needle abit to get more paint out-put as opposed to air for big coverage.
.....I am not familar with your "GD 102" out of the literally 100's of airbrushs out there, but dont fret, any and all of them can do a great job,I've tried many(right now I use a Paasche VL, a badger 150 and a couple different models of the tremeduous but expensive Awaita's. your issue of a smaller cup is the biggest issue you will have as your experience already is showing you....lot of models can sometimes use other companies smaller cups, I deffinately use 1 inche tall cups on cakery items.
...Always use a ediable cleaner in your Airbrush for food,like VODKA , try not to drink much......for a different airbrush and on shirts,cars,signs etc,any water-based paint use a squirt or 2 of windex in your water solution,dont waste your money on airbrush cleaners. The " FDA" frowns heavily on using non-ediable cleaners on food products!
...Paints and supplies, yes, TCP global is good,lots of cakery paints,...you must get Bearair.com "Airbrush bible", its priceless and i believe free. many other companies are good too,I just cant remember their names,lol......WOW,you really are testing me but good. this should help.......Paint like no ones watching!! icon_biggrin.gif
.... oops, I had wronge blogspot on my signature!! its corrected now! Please check it out!
...P.S. I see the stars in your eyes, so go for the sky!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 8

Spoony-G, you crack me up!

Thanks for all your help.

The vodka idea never would have occurred to me.

I plan on messing around with the stuff this weekend. Be prepared for more questions.

Thank you again,
Gomo

UberSpoonyG Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:25am
post #7 of 8

I concur with Tiggy2.

Melba10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melba10 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 10:27am
post #8 of 8

Airbrush compressor is really quite impressive but when you buy the compressor make sure you know what to look for. Read to get some good advice on how to choose the best airbrush compressor devices. You can do a great job airbrushing you have a decent range of airbrush equipment. Of course you will need your airbrush and compressor, airbrush but also take into account other needs such as pipes and paint. Not all pipes are the same either. Some of the tubes are straight others are intertwined and so on. So be sure to keep all these things when buying a hose.

airbrush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%