Help! Half Sheet Cake Cracked Down The Middle

Decorating By cricket0616 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 3:32am by khoudek

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake that is to be carved into a ribbon for a American Cancer Society fund raiser. I baked the 1/2 sheet cake last night and while taking it out of the pan, it cracked. It did not go all the way through, however it is right down the middle. I froze the cake last night and am planning on torting and craving it tomorrow morning. Since it will have buttercream in the middle I hope it will be stable enough that it will not crack in transport to the event. I plan on covering with buttercream and then fondant.

Any suggestions to make sure I don't show up to the event with a broken cake!!

3 replies
skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 4

If you use buttercream as a "glue", frost your cake and then cover it with fondant, you should not have any 'cracks' showing through. I have cracked a cake a time or two myself and was able to cover it without issue. Good luck to you.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 4

It should be fine. Just do what you said and make sure the board under it is sturdy.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 4

If you've got a Micheals or Hobby Lobby nearby, purchase one of their 20 by 30 by 1/2" foam core boards and make your board from that. Much stiffer and sturdier than the thin cake boards doubled or tripled up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%