New Trans Fat Free Shortening

Decorating By julibel Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 3:21am by julibel

julibel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julibel Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 17

Has anyone out there made Buttercream with the new shortening with less trans fat? If so, what do you think? I HATE it. this is my worst nightmare. The iceing is thick and oily, does not hold it's shape, so doing roses is almost impossible and the iceing get this oily build up on top. all my bags are real greasy. I feel like someone took my favorite toy away, I'm depressed. does anyone have any ideas how to perk up this iceing so I can continue to have satified customers. PLEASE HELP!

16 replies
mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 17

I didn't realize it was the root of my problems at first. Now I buy store brand that still has transfat. I usually get WalMart Brand or HEB brand. They work great, but I prefer the HEB Brand.

I agree with you that it was too oily.

I watched a video by Edna where she says that if your shortening is TF free you can add the fat back by using whole milk. However, that's not an option for me because the recipe I use is non-dairy. However, if your's is dairy based that might work for you.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 17

Crisco's been trans-fat free for quite some time now...

Indydebi's buttercream recipe uses Dream Whip and milk to make a stable b/c using the "new" Crisco:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

HTH

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #4 of 17

I tried Indys today and I did not do very well with it......I don't know, many people swear by it in here, but I could not get it to crust....maybe I used too much milk, but if I didnt do that then it was too thick to spread......back to my own I guess...only with hifat shortening

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I tried Indys today and I did not do very well with it......I don't know, many people swear by it in here, but I could not get it to crust....maybe I used too much milk, but if I didnt do that then it was too thick to spread......back to my own I guess...only with hifat shortening

I have the same problem with her recipe. I love the taste but it doesn't crust very well.... I figured I must be doing something wrong???

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 17

I use nothing else but Indydebi's bc.

madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #7 of 17

I was excited to try it after hearing so many good comments, so I was really disappointed today, and my cake is a mess..maybe its just not my day for decorating a cake who knows.........but I will use my old recipe now, and use the hi ratio instead of crisco.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #8 of 17

I use only sweetex high ratio now, if I happen to run out I buy Crisco and add a cup of the cheap stuff with it to get the fat in , works good but I can't take the greasy taste after being spoiled by the high ratio. I don't like the price of the high ratio though.

dshlent Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I use only sweetex high ratio now, if I happen to run out I buy Crisco and add a cup of the cheap stuff with it to get the fat in , works good but I can't take the greasy taste after being spoiled by the high ratio. I don't like the price of the high ratio though.

Using 1 cup of the cheap stuff works with the Crisco? How many cups of Crisco do you use? I might have to look into this...!!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:40am
post #10 of 17

LOL, new? Crisco changed their formula years ago.

Never had a problem with it, nor any of my students, all of whom get the same recipe from me (which I've uploaded to this site).

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #11 of 17

I always make a double batch in my 6 quart I use 3 Crisco to 1 Cheap if I run out of the high ratio. 4 cups shortening to 4 pounds of sugar. Flavoring and milk or water, which ever you prefer. I add a touch of salt to knock out some of the sweetness too.

madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:05am
post #12 of 17

I use stick of butter with a cup of crisco and that always worked for me but lately a couple times it didnt crust....I bet I just needed a bit extra sugar.....think I will go back to that.

madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:05am
post #13 of 17

Although I do have to say the grandkids loved the taste of Indys......but I had a terrible time with it.

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:47am
post #14 of 17

I've made Indys a couple of times and it crusted great for me. Smooths out nicely too.

dshlent Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:53am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan14grands

I've made Indys a couple of times and it crusted great for me. Smooths out nicely too.

I wonder what I am doing wrong because I have to wait almost an hour before I can use my viva paper towel on it.... I wish I could get it to work for me because I love the taste.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:38pm
post #16 of 17

Crusting is the ratio of fat to sugar. No matter how much milk I add, it still crusts, because the fat/sugar ratio remains the same.

Are you icing a frozen or really cold cake? A frozen/cold cake has excess moisture in it. The crusting process is somewhat of an "air drying" process. When the icing is in contact with lots of moisture (a frozen cake), it takes longer to crust.

I have the same issue when I crumb a frozen or partially frozen cake .... I have to wait to smooth and finish icing. Which is why I crumb coat one day and ice the next; or crumb early in the morning and ice in the afternoon, if I'm working with frozen cakes.

julibel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julibel Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #17 of 17

I have always used Sweetex, and love it, But this week the new Trans fat sweetex came in, myself and my coworkers can't stand it, a puddle of oil collects on the cake board after it sits for some time and if you use black or red it instantly bleeds. Is it true that all shortenings are going trans fat free in January? If so i think I may find a new career. At my Bakery we are known for our BC, But I do not even want to send cakes out with this new stuff. Sad so very sad...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%