Does Anyone Else Have A Hard Time Finding Motivation...?

Decorating By bambuf Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 12:36am by bambuf

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 29

for making cakes for your own family? My baby turned two on Monday and just like with her first birthday cake, I am completely unmotivated and uninspired on her cake. I am working on it now, but it feels like such a chore. I guess I don't want my baby to grow up! icon_sad.gif

28 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 29

Every year I always find it hard to make my kids cakes not because I don't want to but because I am always soooo busy with customer orders I never get around to doing the cake I want or vision making them!! I feel like I cheat them out of a great cake...Last year was the first time I actually turned down a few orders for that week so I could work on their birthday cakes and I was very glad I did.My daughters was the 3 tiered Tinkerbell and my sons...3D Castle...I have learned that you can never get that back so every year now I will make sure I am not as busy so I can make the cake they want!!I guess a part of all of us doesn't want our kids to grow up but they do..

bambuf Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 29

Yeah, I have always been so busy with other people's cakes when working on cakes for my kids. ( I have three, Aubrey 9, Bryson, 5 and Sadie, 2) And yeah, their cakes usually come out less than I had envisioned because of time. But I just moved to a new place and really don't have anyone yet to cake for, so I should be so excited to make this cake, right? NOT! But you are right, we don't get these memories back, so I have to suck it up and make it great. Just wish I was more excited about it. We're not even talking a big cake. lol Oh well, thanks for the response and I must say, your cakes are gorgeous! You are very talented, friend! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 29

I sometimes have that feeling. Right now, I'm not inspired.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 29

Oh you new mommies are so cute! Wait until they're 17 and you're looking at them wondering why they still live with you and when are they moving? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My 17 year old, for the past 2 years sternly reminds me that she wants a plain regular cake like her friends get. Out of a box, with canned icing. period. No fancy fillings, no borders, just chocolate cake with canned chocolate icing. She's in hog heaven!

Now my grandchildren are another story! They are 7 and 2 and start about 3 months ahead of time telling their Banna what kind of cake they want! (I have a feeling I need to figure out how to make a Michael Jackson for the 2 year old!)

bambuf Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 29

oh indydebi, you always make me smile.... icon_biggrin.gif

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh you new mommies are so cute! Wait until they're 17 and you're looking at them wondering why they still live with you and when are they moving? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My 17 year old, for the past 2 years sternly reminds me that she wants a plain regular cake like her friends get. Out of a box, with canned icing. period. No fancy fillings, no borders, just chocolate cake with canned chocolate icing. She's in hog heaven!

Now my grandchildren are another story! They are 7 and 2 and start about 3 months ahead of time telling their Banna what kind of cake they want! (I have a feeling I need to figure out how to make a Michael Jackson for the 2 year old!)

Indy, my kids are 16, 13, and 12. I have been doing cakes for about 3 years and I have YET to make them a cake!! and I don't feel guilty about it!! They ask for cakes; but after they receive whatever gift they ask for; cakes don't exist in their memory anymore!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 29

You guys are all so hilarious!
Do I lose motivations, YES! It's more like the wind u takes a while to wind up. I think, "ALL THOSE BUTTERCREAMS & FILLINGS!" And then once i do it, is goes by in a flash. And I know this. I still just can't get the wind up. Right now, I know I need to be working on the figures for my son's first cake...I still can't make up my mind between "Where the Wild Things Are' or "Mr.MEn"!

bambuf Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 29

Oh I vote for Mr. Men! So fun! icon_smile.gif Oh and btw...my silly cake is coming along...slowly and pathetically, but coming along! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 29

I was sad making my youngest baby's first birthday cake, because she is going to be our last baby and I was sad that she was growing up so fast. But every year since then it's been joyful, especially this last year when I let her stand on a chair in the kitchen and make things to stick on her cake. And I didn't even demand to see them first before she stuck them on icon_biggrin.gif She was so happy.

I felt bad this last year because for my oldest's birthday, all I did was a mermaid with the Wonder mold. I had plans for something great and then I broke my leg and all she got was that because I couldn't focus long enough to do anything fancier (and it's kind of hard to do fondant when you can't stand up). She loved the cake, but I didn't even post a picture of it because it was so far from my best. And then this year I've made a lot of cakes for other relatives and they've all been fancier and I've been afraid she felt bad about it. My husband says it's like the shoemaker's children going barefoot.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 29

Yes, Just today as a matter of fact! We celebrated our son's "Gotcha Day" and it wasn't till THIS MORNING that I got myself to decide what to do. I feel so guilty sometimes that he doesn't get my best. icon_sad.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I sometimes have that feeling. Right now, I'm not inspired.

I have that feeling a lot lately, every day I say I am going to bake, and decorate for Practice, and then I come home and go to bed,
and I do need to get a portfolio started, because I am working on getting inspected,

Indydebi, I just love you everytime I read your posts I laugh out loud, my kids always tell me, you are always sitting on the computer laughing, its that CC isn't it.

I always asking my 17 soon to be 18 year old, (christmas eve). When is she leaving. LOL She always wants, wants, wants.
I told her to go look for a job. and she will get, get, get. I also have two others I have to Provide for. 13 and 10.

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 29

I very new and haven't made many cakes yet..... That said, I had the same problem with my stepson's cake. Poor planning on my part. It's the only cake I haven't taken a picture of. My husband said "Hon, that's how it works, the shoemaker's son, doesn't have shoes".... or however that saying goes... icon_smile.gif

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #14 of 29

I always plan big elaborate cakes for my girls they want me to push the emvelope on theirs...but this year i was so busy i forgot their birthdays...S I got a bad moma from both...lol

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:18am
post #15 of 29

Me, me, me! I have a wedding cake to do for the 31st (not a Halloween theme) and the cake has to be completely redesigned. It was supposed to be a combination of two different looks, but when put together according to what they want, it just didn't work.

They bought a clear lucite heart topper. The only thing I can think of is to add some hearts cake jewelry to a rose garland, and hope for the best. I'm glad I have a coupon for the craft stores, because I'll be buying some strands of beads at Michaels this week.

I want to stay as elegant as they originally wanted. If any of you can think of anything, let me know.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bambuf Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #16 of 29

Here's the finished cake. Could have done a better job on it, but like I said before. My heart was not in it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1489684

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:22am
post #17 of 29

My kids can tell you what cake they had for which birthday, & my DH just gets whatever I feel like experimenting with. He has had an armadillo & a can of Spam!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:35am
post #18 of 29

That cake looks beautiful, Wow I can only imagine, what it would of looked like if you were motivated.

bambuf Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #19 of 29

Thanks, Uniqueask! icon_biggrin.gif There are always things I would have done differently. Still, I think she will be happy with it. My two older kids liked it! icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #20 of 29

flamingo,
What's "gotcha day"?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:21pm
post #21 of 29

Yeah, I wanna know what it would look like if you were motivated as well! icon_wink.gif

Mr.Men was my first choice, but he is a bit of a wild thing!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #22 of 29

Bambuf--amazing cake. Your work is beautiful.

I'm lucky. I do this for fun so the only pressure I have is the pressure I put on myself. I do it for the challenge. Lots of time I'll have a cake idea for weeks and when I finally try to put it all together the image in my head never lives up to the cake I create. But I always learn something new and I always keep thinking "wait until next time". My pumpkin cake was like that --for me it turned out well and despite all of it's flaws I received l of compliments and ....I can't wait to make another one and try to make it better.

I like having the time to think over an idea. Inspiration seems to come at the oddest times.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

flamingo,
What's "gotcha day"?

I missed Falmingo's post but at my store I have some jewelry for Gotcha Day--it's when kids get adopted & it's the day they 'Gotcha' Cool huh~~so they can celebrate that day too.

bambuf Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #24 of 29

aquamom- I totally understand liking to have the time to plan a cake. When I get a cake request, I start mulling it over it in my head right away and get a broad idea of what I want to do, then I start dreaming about the details until I am obsessed and can't wait to make the cake! Sadly, with Sadie's cake, I was uninspired about a theme. But since we bought her a bed, I decided a few weeks ago that it would be the theme. I didn't really start thinking details about it, though, until I started the cake. I think if I had taken the proper time to work out the details, I would have been happier with it. Although, some of my best (and easiest) cakes have been spur of the moment..like the mummy cake. I put that baby together in about half an hour one afternoon.

I love the idea of gotcha day!!! My sister and BIL just adopted one of their foster kids last month. I will have to tell them about gotcha day!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

flamingo,
What's "gotcha day"?

I missed Falmingo's post but at my store I have some jewelry for Gotcha Day--it's when kids get adopted & it's the day they 'Gotcha' Cool huh~~so they can celebrate that day too.

Exactly! thumbs_up.gif

bambuf - beautiful cake! Your "lack of motivation" puts my good days to shame!

cutthecake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #26 of 29

Gotcha Day--what a great concept!
Thanks for the explanation.

cutthecake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:00pm
post #27 of 29

I'm less inspired because all my caking supplies are downstairs in the playroom closets, and I have to go up and down, up and down, up and down, all day long. Bring stuff up...forgot something....go back down...over and over. Then reverse when it's time for clean-up.
At least it's minimally aerobic.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #28 of 29

Bambuf--again your work is amazing. Even when you aren't inspired you run circles around me. I wish I could create such amazing work on the spur of the moment. What a gift you have.

Gotcha Day what a great idea.

bambuf Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #29 of 29

cutthecake- I hear ya on the supplies thing. My problem is a bit different. I live in Alaska (just moved here a couple of months ago) and getting supplies here is so annoying. I can't get fresh fondant locally and end up paying twice the price for my fondant online because of shipping. Blech! Oh well, the things we do for cake, right? icon_smile.gif

aquamom- Thanks again for the kind words! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%