What Are Your Serving Sizes For Party And Wedding?

Business By froglover Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm by HamSquad

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 28

O.K. we were under the impression that industry standards are
party servings: 1 1/2 x 2
wedding serving: 1x2
So we decidee we are down in the south and the party serving seem a little small so now our party serving are 2x2 which puts sheet cakes at the following servings
9x13 29 servings
11x15 41 servings
12x16 54 servings
16x24 96 servings
However there is someone in town that is .25 cheaper per serving for party cakes but claims the following
1/4 sheet feeds 15
1/2 sheet feeds 25 to 30
3/4 sheets feeds 40-45
sheet feeds up to 65

What size servings is this person going by?
What size is your servings and what do you consider the above sizes to serve. Are we wrong?

27 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 28

I go by the industry standard, catering outfit preferred, server preferred Wilton chart. The wedding one. If you feel like they are too small, then do what you feel like you need to.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 28

Wilton wedding for everything. Otherwise you're giving away free cake.

froglover Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 28

Well I've heard Wilton servings are incorrect. Does anyone have proof of that?

leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 28

Earlene claims they are too small. Every caterer I've ever met cuts by the Wilton chart. I can certainly get their numbers, although I do the straight cut not the circle cut method. 1 X 2 X height is plenty of cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 28

Earlene claims to.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 28

Leahs, are you talking about Debi's method, or is there another one?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 28

It also looks like the person in your town is referring to the wrong sized pans. A quarter sheet is the 9X13, but a lot of people call that the half sheet. It looks like that might be what's going on, which would give them the serving counts that they're getting.

leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 28

I was doin' the straight cut before I met Debi. Debi was doin' the straight cut before she met me.

Yes, it's the Debi straight cut method. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 28

Serving size is 1"x2"x4". Doesn't matter what the occasion the cake is for. My rectangular cakes are 4" tall (two layers with filling) just like all the other shapes. If someone wants to serve larger pieces, then they need to order more cake. I also don't mess with the "sheet" terminology as most cake muggles don't understand it anyway.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 28

What leahs said .... wilton wedding chart or you're giving away money. Unless you charge $3.00 for wedding servings and $4.50 for party servings, but even that becomes semantics because the cost of the cake comes out the same. I tell them "An 11x15 serves 25-35 depending on how you cut it. The price is $xx.xx". And my price is based on 35 servings.

here's pics of the 1x2x4 cake slice. EVERY wedding I go to, I have people request smaller pieces. These are perfect for a child's birthday party because remember, you're feeding children. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

bottom line is the $bottom line: They can cut the dang thing in half and pass out two forks for all I care, but they are paying for the number of servings it's designed for.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

bottom line is the $bottom line: They can cut the dang thing in half and pass out two forks for all I care, but they are paying for the number of servings it's designed for.

LOL!! Hilarious!! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I was doin' the straight cut before I met Debi. Debi was doin' the straight cut before she met me.

icon_lol.gif Love it. Ya know, I'm just too chicken sh** to try this. To me, the circle thing seems easier. But I don't doubt you when you say this is better. I think getting the corner pieces that are cut at an angle scare me. Somehow, they don't look like the same amount of cake as the uniform 1" pieces. But I do get that they are "fatter" making up the amount I guess.....I just have a hard time convincing my eyes. icon_rolleyes.gif

froglover Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 28

O.K. anyone got a chart or something showing the straight cutting method? I don't guess I've seen any cutting chart besides wilton. thanks ladies

leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #15 of 28

Its on my other computer. Shoot me an email and I'll hit you by reply. [email protected]

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm
post #16 of 28

Well, here's Debi's in the meantime: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 28

Thanks guys for clearing this issue up for me. The past few cakes I've done, I'm getting complaints that the 2"x1" slice is just a "taste" as if they should be getting a bigger slice of cake to eat at the event and some to take home(LOL). Now I will simply state "Bigger servings, order more cake. You'll still be charged for the 2" x 1" servings, how much additional cake will you need?
Appreciate You Guys!
Hammy

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 28

http://www.cakesunleashed.biz/caketastingflavors.htm

Scroll down the page to see my cake serving chart

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

Thanks guys for clearing this issue up for me. The past few cakes I've done, I'm getting complaints that the 2"x1" slice is just a "taste" as if they should be getting a bigger slice of cake to eat at the event

2x1x__?

2x1x4?

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesUnleashed

Your website is adorable! thumbs_up.gif

CakesUnleashed Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesUnleashed

Your website is adorable! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks, Girlie!!!!! I appreciate the sentiment!

HamSquad Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:34pm
post #22 of 28

They are 2" x 1" x 4", they have been 2 layered cakes. Most of the cakes that I'm asked to prepare are 2 layered. Each layer are 1 1/2 to 2", mainly 2". I made a 3 layered cake - Tropical Themed cake and some older lady pushed DH to the side to cut a larger slice. I was insulted at the event and slightly flattered. My DH now, not thrilled with serving cake anymore.
Hammy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:55pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:

Thanks guys for clearing this issue up for me. The past few cakes I've done, I'm getting complaints that the 2"x1" slice is just a "taste" as if they should be getting a bigger slice of cake to eat at the event and some to take home(LOL). Now I will simply state "Bigger servings, order more cake. You'll still be charged for the 2" x 1" servings, how much additional cake will you need?
Appreciate You Guys!
Hammy

Big Sigh! Does anyone else want to share my KFC Story? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Ok..... KFC determines that a 16 pc bucket serves 8 people. That's 2 pcs per person. I know a lot of people who claim that's "just a taste". Tuff sh*t. If you eat like Jethro Bodine, then you need to buy more chicken, uh I mean cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:00pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:

Appreciate You Guys!
Hammy

You got it! They need to order more cake then.

CakesUnleashed Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:01pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Appreciate You Guys!
Hammy

Big Sigh! Does anyone else want to share my KFC Story? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Ok..... KFC determines that a 16 pc bucket serves 8 people. That's 2 pcs per person. I know a lot of people who claim that's "just a taste". Tuff sh*t. If you eat like Jethro Bodine, then you need to buy more chicken, uh I mean cake.

OMG!! That's hilarious!!!! Thanks for sharing! I think I may have to use that sometime! You made my day!

froglover Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #26 of 28

leah s
I tried to e-mail u but it didn't work my e-mail is [email protected]

I'll try to pm you Thanks

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Too funny! icon_smile.gif I wonder who did start that, cause my cake lady has been cutting that way for a long time as well. That's where I got it from. And as far as the corners go, they just seem to line up easily when staright cut.

HamSquad Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #28 of 28

Thanks Indydebi, I needed that, too funny! Had to drop my teen daughter at school for a play practice. I was feeling bummed out for awhile here! I FEEL BETTER!
Thank You,
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%