Walmart's Great Value Brand Vanilla Instant Pudding

Decorating By diane706 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 4:55am by chilz822

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone tried it? Just a heads up to let you know that it was VERY lumpy when I mixed it in my usual cake recipe. I had to run my mixer on the highest setting (I thought it would jump off the counter) in order to get most of the lumps out and mix in properly. And I'm still not convinced that it's thoroughly mixed up. (still kinda looked lumpy). The cake's in the oven. Stay tuned...I'll let you know. Me thinks next time I'll go back to spending the extra .30 for the Jell-O brand.

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 7

I've used it and had no problems with it.

I sift ALL of my dry ingredients before adding the liquids. I mix the dry ingredients together with a fork or a whisk and then add the wet. No lumps, ever.

You're not acutally making the pudding and then adding it to the cake batter, are you???

Rae

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe it was just a fluke with the batch you got? I use the GV brand pudding all the time - Vanilla and French Vanilla mostly. I just used some in a cake batter and to make whipped frosting last night. (I also use it to make regular pudding treats of course!) icon_wink.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 7

I use GV brand too and never had problems. Like Blake I sift it in with my dry ingredients before I add the wet. The chocolate GV pudding also makes an excellent base for cream pie.

For the most part I buy the GV version if it's available. Wal-mart has really stepped up the overall quality of their house label in the past year, not just re-packaged their old stuff.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 7

I use this brand of pudding all the time and I've never had an issue with it

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I've used it and had no problems with it.

I sift ALL of my dry ingredients before adding the liquids. I mix the dry ingredients together with a fork or a whisk and then add the wet. No lumps, ever.

You're not acutally making the pudding and then adding it to the cake batter, are you???

Rae

LOL, now that WOULD be a mess! icon_wink.gif No, I mix up and add everything exactly the way you described. This is the first time it's ever happened to me so I figured it was the pudding mix. Hmmmmm.... I'm glad to find out otherwise because I got about 10 of them!

As far as the Great Value brand in general, my 16 year old son cracks up when we go shopping because my cart is filled with nothing but GV stuff. Me: "Oh look, Jake, this comes in the GV brand!!"... icon_lol.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:55am
post #7 of 7

If I don't sift, then I'll just whip the cake mix and pudding mix together dry prior to mixing the wet goodies in. The chocolate seems more lumpy (cake mixes too) than the vanilla, but pre-mixing does a great job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%