Unfreeze Cake

Decorating By AngieCake1 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 5:12pm by TPACakeGirl

AngieCake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieCake1 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 11

I wrapped my cake in wax paper, then aluminum foil, then plastic wrap. Total time in the freezer will be three days. How do I go about thawing? Do I unwrap everything on place on a rack while at work? Do I leave wrapped up while at work? Will the cake be fresh if I thaw out while at work?

10 replies
jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 11

Just take it out and put it on the counter. Keep it wrapped up so that the condensation ends up on the wrappings instead of the cake. They'll definitely be fresh if you thaw while at work.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 11

I crumb coat mine frozen, and then let it set a few hours until it thaws and crusts. The frosting seals in all the moisture as it thaws! icon_biggrin.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 11

Welcome to cake central! I normally just pull my cakes out of the freezer and set them on the counter. I don't unwrap them until I'm ready to ice them.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 11

I usually leave mine wrapped. They're usually just wrapped in some plastic wrap and then a freezer zip lock bag. I usually leave them like this on the counter while I'm at work all day. I haven't tried crumb coating them while frozen. Hmm, good idea maybe. I'll have to try that. The cakes I've pulled out of the freezer and used later always get comments that they are so very moist.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforhim

I usually leave mine wrapped. They're usually just wrapped in some plastic wrap and then a freezer zip lock bag. I usually leave them like this on the counter while I'm at work all day. I haven't tried crumb coating them while frozen. Hmm, good idea maybe. I'll have to try that. The cakes I've pulled out of the freezer and used later always get comments that they are so very moist.

Yes, I like to work on a frozen cake to crumb coat. SO much easier to handle and stack, and to spread the crumb coat without the risk of tearing any cake. They stay completely moist if you seal them completely with the crumb coat!

In fact, I am also a Wilton instructor, and I can't keep a cake frozen on the night of lesson one where I demonstrate crumb coating and smooth icing. I always feel awkward demonstrating on the soft cake, and hope my students don't think I have no idea what I'm doing icon_razz.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 11

I leave my cakes in the freezer until ready to decorate. It's so much easier to handle while still frozen.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 11

I don't unwrap it either. They usually will defrost in about an hour or so on the counter.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 11

When I lived in WA state, I used to crumb coat my cakes while they were still frozen, and I found them much easier. Now I live in Florida where it's much hotter and humid. I tried the same technique once and learned very quickly that it did not work the same down here. My cake melted inside and outside and the entire thing tuned into a droopy mess.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 11

Something new I get to try just from reading on CC. Gosh! I love this site!

TPACakeGirl my parents live in Zephyrhills. I sure miss Tampa Bay!

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 11

Where Shelley? My husband and I just moved to Wesley Chapel right outside of Zephyrhills.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%