Gumpaste Not Holding Up For Molding

Decorating By sew4children Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm by BlakesCakes

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 4

I purchased CK products gumpaste mix (just add water). I mixed per instructions, even added more powder and still can't get the stuff to be the consistency to make figurines. It is soft and just rolls over my fingers. It also sticks and won't hold much shape when I try to make things.

What does everyone use as gumpaste that can truly be made into these amazing creations that I see on CC? I practiced and learned with clay, which is cheaper. I am ready to make my first from gumpaste and can't figure out what to use.

Thanks for helping!

3 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 4

Wilton fondant with Tylose added is IDEAL for creating figures. You get all the strength and hardening powder of gumpaste from the Tylose with a greater window of working time from the fondant.

Trying to do figures with straight GP is tough, unless you are adept enough at working very fast.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 4

In my website you can find the tylose recipe. I have tried the CK gumpaste and I didnt like it.
www.designmeacake.com
go to the recipe section
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 4

For gum paste, I generally refuse to mess with mixes.

If I want to make flowers (not competition quality), I use Wilton pre-made. I buy it with my Michael's coupons, so it's less than $5/lb. and goes a long way. It's very, very sturdy and dries pretty white. I can roll it very thin. You just knead in a bit of crisco and you're ready to go.

If I'm making figures, I find that adding some tylose or gum-tex to plain fondant (I use Wilton <if they won't be eaten> or Satin Ice for) or 50/50 fondant + pre-made gum paste creates a paste that is very workable and doesn't crack when it dries.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%