3D Standing Numbers

Decorating By sweetkake Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm by sweetkake

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Everyone
I had a customer to ask me about a standing 3D cake of the number 50. Anyone know how to approach this? TIA

7 replies
swilson77385 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swilson77385 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 8

I know you're asking about the 3D numbers but I did a birthday cake for my dh grandmother's 90th last year and did the numbers in melted white chocolate and had it standing up using popsicle sticks.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 8

Many ways...

Make gumpaste and roll a long snake form it iinto the numbers you need and push toothpicks or loli sticks intot he bottom that will be later used for inserting into the top of a cake. Let the numbers dry hard before using.

Roll out a sheet of gumpaste and use a number cutter to make the numbers you want...

Make a number shaped cookie on a stick and decorate with icing.

Edited to add: DUH! I didn't read that right! Wow! yeah forget the junk above-sorry.

I would stack up cake four layers or at least 6 inches tall. Print out a a huge 50 that would fit on the front of the cake and cut it out. Place it on the front of the cake and cut around the edges only 1/2 inch deep into the face of the cake and scoop out cake from the numbers. So the 50 will be carved inot the cake.

Here look at this candle maybe it will help explain what I am trying to say.

Hey making the cake look like just a giant candle could be pretty funny!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 8

I would say just stack layers, with support every 4 inches or so. I feel like for the top of the 5 you will need some sort of dowel to hold the right side. Maybe you could use a pipe or dowel covered in fondant with flowers or something all over it, to make it look more like the design, and not just a random support. Same thing for the bottom left side of the 5. The flowers would have to somewhat cascade onto the bottom area though. Hope this makes sense.

sweetkake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys, I'm starting to feel it. Those are good ideas. The support for the number 5 is where I got stuck because I didn't want it to show. But it's cake, right!!!. There's just so much you can do. The zero I feel comfortable with, I'm going to put dowels in the bottom of the 0 and a glass circle in the middle. Thanks again. What would any of you charge to do this for 100 people?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 8

100 YIKES! Maybe the 50 on top of nice sheet cake. Still charge by the slice and carved cake is going to cost! What do you normally chargee per serving?

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 8

I would say charge whatever you normally charge per serving for a carved cake. At least $4 per serving.

Another idea is to build a base with wooden boards. Use a bracket to hold the top board to the side board, and cover the base with fondant. Then you could just put the top of the 5 on top of the board. I've never built a base before, but I could see someone on a cake challenge doing that.

sweetkake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks again, guys. I have had to rethink my prices, I wasn't coming close to covering my expenses. I'm trying to move slowly but I'm up to $3 a serving for 3D shapes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%