A Question About Costco From Someone In Oz!

Decorating By iwantcookies Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 7:08am by iwantcookies

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:34am
post #1 of 7

hey all
Just a quick question about the stuff costco sells... They've opened up one in Melbourne, Australia recently, and Sydney is next on the list (which is where i am) I figured they would have the same products in the US as here in Aus, just wondering if they sell bulk packages of icing sugar and things like that?? What good stuff do they have there for cake making (as in bulk sugar, flour, sprinkles etc etc) they i can look fwd to getting??
thanks! sorry if its a weird question!

6 replies
PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:47am
post #2 of 7

Well, you can definitely look forward to bulk size packages of sugar, flour, etc. and larger sized containers of spices, although here in the US the selection is sometimes limited in the spice area. While they tend to introduce new products in some other sections of the store quite regularly, the spice selection is limited to salt, pepper, cinnamon and a few other standards but not a wide variety.

I truly love Costco for certain things and definitely find some of their pricing beats the regular grocery store but you just have to purchase smart and know that you won't be able to get everything you need there.

As far as sprinkles or other decorative things...not very likely to be available. They really just try to focus on the core things their commercial customers are most likely to need that would also apply to many individuals without businesses, so 'niche' products like cake decorating supplies, they just don't have the room to carry enough to please everyone so they don't do it at all. HTH!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with mseif. Here, I find better prices on butter, eggs, heavy cream, milk, confectioner's and granulated sugar, flour, baking soda - things like that. Spices are limited but are a pretty decent quality for the price. Their vanilla is comparatively inexpensive, too. They have big bags of chocolate (real - not imitation) chips and some dried fruits. Their oils and shortening aren't such great buys but are a little better than regular retail. I bake and decorate strictly for fun, so I do not have access to wholesale. I have no idea how Costco compares to wholesale goods.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 7

One thing I really like about Costco is that their store brand, Kirkland Signature, is good quality. I usually like their products as well as, or even better than, the name brands' products.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with what's been said here. I really like Costco for what it is. They have great stuff, some at amazing prices, but not everything they have is what I like. Eg they don't carry the brands/flavours of cleaning products I like, so I get those from Walmart or wherever else has them on special offer. Costco meat is THE BEST, by the way.

I've never seen bulk icing sugar there, although they do have 20kg bags of flour and sugar.

(Remember in The Simpsons when Marge goes to MonsterMart, or whatever it's called, with Apu - tagline "Where shopping is a baffling ordeal"? That's how I feel about Costco. I always have to have a little sit down and a cup of tea when I get home!)

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

I also like them for the huge bag of 10x sugar (hit or miss when they have it), for pure vanilla and prepackaged Rice Krispy Treats...

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:08am
post #7 of 7

thank you all so much for ure helpful replies!!! definitely a good insight to what we can expect here...there is a alot of buzz about costco over here and people either LUV it or hate it! i luv buying things in bulk though, i hate running out of ingredients!
thanks again all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%