How Long Did You Practice

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 2:38am by prterrell

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 7

I was just curious how long you practiced decorating before you started charging for your cakes?

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 7

Moving this to the "General Forum" since anyone in business would charge for their products. icon_smile.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 7

this is a secret, but.....

I never practiced. I still don't. I just jump in and do it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

this is a secret, but.....

I never practiced. I still don't. I just jump in and do it.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's what I say. when I first joined CC and saw people talking about making practice cakes, that really threw me. You mean people make a cake ahead of time before they make the real cake? icon_confused.gif Geesh, who ate the FIRST 100-serving wedding cake?

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 7

I've never made a practice cake either or even repeated one of mine (although i would if paid to do so). I just plan it out the best I can and wing it. my first ever cake was my brother's wedding (a simple 3 tier), then I did a little castle for my daughter's birthday. obviously those two were free. My third was for my boss's son (the fire truck in my photos). I told him to give me whatever and he gave me $100. I charge much more than that now, but I was thrilled with a first payment. I started the business a month later. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 7

Okay, I guess I've been "practicing" for 17 years. Theres always new techniques coming out, so we are all constantly learning. I've started "selling" on a regular basis when I became a SAHM and saw how easy it was to be legal in my state. I have still ordered a cake for myself when I knew for a fact I wasn't going to have time to do it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #7 of 7

Well, not counting the years when I was growing up (I made my first cake at around age 7 or icon_cool.gif, I guess I "practiced" for about 2 or 3 months before the first time someone paid me for a cake, so I guess after about 5 or 6 cakes. But I don't really think of it as having been practice. I was just making cakes because I wanted to and bringing them in to work for pot lucks or to family functions and someone happened to ask me to make them a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%