Smoothing Buttercream Without Blending

Decorating By snocilla Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 8:36am by Rylan

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 10

A friend requested a cake like this in buttercream. How do I smooth the black and white without blending them. I'm afraid that if I use a spatula, I won't be able to keep the colors separate. Also, would it be better to put the white on first?
LL

9 replies
onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 10

I would do the cake black and smooth then pipe on the white in star tip or something similar. Nothing to blend.

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 10

Is this something that could be done as a FBCT?

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 10

I used to just use the star tip for all of my fill-in work. However, I have discovered that I really like the smooth look much better-it just looks a little less amateur to me.
The way I would do that cake is this: Ice and smooth the whole thing in black, then use a toothpick or something similar to outline your design on the cake. With white icing and a smallish round tip, maybe size 4 or 5, go over your outline and then fill in the entire area using the same tip. Before it crusts, use a small spatula to lightly go over only the white area, just to smooth the lines that you made while filling in. After it crusts a little, use a Viva paper towel to smooth the white area completely. Lastly, use a tip #3 to outline the entire white area one more time, this will "clean up" the edges. Then add any final details.
I have a couple of pictures in my photos that use this method and it always works well for me.
HTH icon_smile.gif

snocilla Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:58am
post #5 of 10

Jen, That's kind of what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure how it would work. Thanks for all the tips. Is your Dark Vader cake done that way?

snocilla Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:03am
post #6 of 10

Sugarfiend - I thought about doing a FBCT, but I don't think I have the freezer space for something that large.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Jen, That's kind of what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure how it would work. Thanks for all the tips. Is your Dark Vader cake done that way?

Yes, the Darth Vader and Mario cakes are both done with this method.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 10

The best way to make it smooth is to stencil it.

snocilla Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 10

Rylan - How do I make a stencil for it?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:36am
post #10 of 10

Get some acetate and cut out the design with an exacto knife. You can also use those plastic folders. Maybe some type of thick paper would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%