I Survived ...............

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 3:43am by cakesbybert

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 27

being the mother of the bride and making the wedding cake and grooms cake.!!!!!

Wedding was Saturday (10/10) which happened to be the coldest day of the year in Kansas!! (It was in the 60s only last week!!!!) A nice artic cold front came through with temps in the low 30s and a very nice cold breeze out of the north. And of course my daughter and new hubby insisted on having the wedding outside!! Turned out lovely - pretty cold!!! but it did hurry the pastor through his little sermon (yea!!) But the groom, pastor and groomsmen got to ride up to the wedding ceremony on their Harley's and the girls & bride came in on a horse drawn carriage!.

I did manage to get the wedding cake and grooms cake finished and to the reception site on Sat. morning!! Totally stressed over breaking flowers - didn't have any extra!! Grooms cake was another story - it weighed a ton!!! And there would have been no chance to repair it if something had happened.

The kids gave me pretty much free rein over what to do. Neither one knew what the grooms cake was going to be...it was a special surprise for the the groom! It covers all of his hunting and fishing interests!

The wedding cake is six tiers - the top tier was a 4" round with a comma shaped cake next with the wedding cake topper sitting in the curve of the comma cake. All flowers are gum paste - I should have made more!!!!

Enjoy
LL
LL

26 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbybert

being the mother of the bride and making the wedding cake and grooms cake.!!!!!

Wedding was Saturday (10/10) which happened to be the coldest day of the year in Kansas!! (It was in the 60s only last week!!!!) A nice artic cold front came through with temps in the low 30s and a very nice cold breeze out of the north. And of course my daughter and new hubby insisted on having the wedding outside!! Turned out lovely - pretty cold!!! but it did hurry the pastor through his little sermon (yea!!) But the groom, pastor and groomsmen got to ride up to the wedding ceremony on their Harley's and the girls & bride came in on a horse drawn carriage!.

I did manage to get the wedding cake and grooms cake finished and to the reception site on Sat. morning!! Totally stressed over breaking flowers - didn't have any extra!! Grooms cake was another story - it weighed a ton!!! And there would have been no chance to repair it if something had happened.

The kids gave me pretty much free reign over what to do. Neither one knew what the grooms cake was going to be...it was a special surprise for the the groom! It covers all of his hunting and fishing interests!

The wedding cake is six tiers - the top tier was a 4" round with a comma shaped cake next with the wedding cake topper sitting in the curve of the comma cake. All flowers are gum paste - I should have made more!!!!

Enjoy

Terrific job! Those look great!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 27

Fantastic job! I can't imagine the level of stress, but your execution was wonderful ... you should be more than proud, and your daughter had a dream wedding cake!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 27

wow, two fantastic yet mahoooosive cakes! well done you! true talent that mind, i would of cracked under the pressure

happytime_ca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happytime_ca Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 27

WOW! both cakes are wonderful. Along with great talent, you must have nerves of steel!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytime_ca

WOW! both cakes are wonderful. Along with great talent, you must have nerves of steel!

I agree! Now what will you do with all the time on your hands after the wedding? Knit a car? Establish world peace? Someone with all your talent and calm presence needs to put be to work immediately solving some major crisis.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 27

Holy Moley! Fantastic job!!!!!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 27

Astounding wedding cake, and even more amazing that you raised the wonderful daughter who got married!! That is probably your most crowning achievement! Congratulations to the new "mom-in-law" on a job well done. Now...go sit in the corner and snooze.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 27

icon_eek.gif You must have at least 10 arms and 30 hours in a day. icon_lol.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 27

Fantastic job - I know the groom was thrilled with his surprise cake. Nerves of steel, for sure thumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 27

Wow, I don't know how you did it all-and still managed to show up for the wedding. Beautiful cakes!

cakesbybert Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 27

Thanks everyone LOL - "nerves of steel" not sure about that. Just ask my husband. Everyone would ask him if he got in and helped - His answer - "Yes I stayed the He** out of the house!!!" One thing I know my house was not nearly big enough for this much cake - there was cake - flowers - parts & pieces everywhere - no where was safe. It was definitely a lot of late nights (early mornings!!!???).

Thanks floral1210, she is a wonderful daughter and I am very lucky to have a very wonderful son-in-law now!!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 27

Congratulations Bert - from one MOB to another!!

I did the same for my DD on 09/26/09 -- but I haven't gotten any pictures of the cakes yet to share with my friends here on CC! When I set them up early the morning of the wedding neither was set in place or at an angle that I could get a shot - due to the last minute setting up of the reception at my sister's home (the cakes were actually used to block a set of french doors to keep people from entering the house).

But back to your cakes - you did a fantastic job - and you survived and they are happily married and that is all that counts! Now relax and revive!!

Suze

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #14 of 27

both are amazing but that grooms cake is out of this world!

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 27

Your work is absolutely beautiful on both cakes! Congratulations on gaining a son! princess.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #16 of 27

Congratulations Bert!! To the wedding of your daughter and also to the beautiful cakes you made. You deserve a nice rest now that it is all over and someone to come in and clean the kitchen for you. thumbs_up.gif Your cakes are really fantastic and I am sure your new son in law was in awe of what you did for him and everyone at the wedding had to have loved both of the cakes. Their pictures at the cakes will really look so nice and you can take credit for that. Congratulations once to your daughter, so rest and enjoy the quiet for awhile. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
evelyn

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #17 of 27

congrats on everything!! your cakes are fantastic!!! where are you at in kansas? i'm in kansas, as well! i'm in the olathe area.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #18 of 27

I'm dying for a close up! Just stunning~I'm blown away--the groom's cake is amazing--I love the b&g in the crook of the comma cake--wonderful wonderful work--truly inspired you were.

Have you come down to earth yet?

cakesbybert Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm
post #19 of 27

Finally got pics posted to the galleries - man they take a long time to load. But there are several views of both cakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:32pm
post #20 of 27

I mean to me this is a once in the world cake--could be duplicated but not surpassed--your passion is oozing out all over it--all that parental juju--to me this would get the Gold Medal in the Olympics because I can feel your emotion in the design.

To me the meat and potatoes of cake design is if you can you see the passion.

Your embroidery is stunning. Your flowers look real.

If you don't mind me saying--I see the flaws and humanity in it too.

I din even go inspect the groom's cake yet.

I love all the stuff at the Oklahoma shows and at any display of sugar art--that stuff's great~~~ but a cake like this is what it's all about to me--it's one of kind--it's breathtaking, jaw dropping and awe inspiring.

It's that unique and curious blend of bride and designer minds whirling into sucha sweetly revealed combination of true art, heart art.

tremendous just tremendous

cakesbybert Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #21 of 27

Wow K8memphis - thank you - it was definity a labor of love.

Aprilbree - I'm south of Wichita almost to the Okla. border

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I am definitely drained and not really looking forward to doing any more cakes real soon. icon_smile.gif Atleast not of this size.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #22 of 27

Beautiful! I hope that fish is framed and on a wall! too good to eat! lol icon_lol.gif I really love the idea of the comma cakes on top to make an alcove for the topper. Also biased because I love Willow Tree figures, they are very sentimental! Clever mum!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #23 of 27

wow...both cakes are amazings...beautiful job...congratulation

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #24 of 27

Well, I'm just BLOWN away! I could never have taken that on with a wedding looming...You deserve a toast!

cakesbybert Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

Beautiful! I hope that fish is framed and on a wall! too good to eat! lol icon_lol.gif I really love the idea of the comma cakes on top to make an alcove for the topper. Also biased because I love Willow Tree figures, they are very sentimental! Clever mum!

Funny you should say that! Groom guarded the cake and would not let anyone touch it! He took it home and wants to put it their extra room which has his hunting trophies and an actual stuffed walleye fish!!

The Willow Tree figures was perfect! Groom had started giving them to my daughter on special occassions.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:25am
post #26 of 27

OOH, I just did that on 7/25 for my daughter, too! I was the MOB, wedding coordinator, and cake maker. I don't recommend that, by the way. I just posted the pic of her wedding cake. It was just on the front page. The groom's cake was a turntable (in my pics).

Congratulations on your daughter's marriage! It's a magical day. It was brutal to do the cake, but I wouldn't have had it any other way, either!

cakesbybert Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:43am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

OOH, I just did that on 7/25 for my daughter, too! I was the MOB, wedding coordinator, and cake maker. I don't recommend that, by the way. I just posted the pic of her wedding cake. It was just on the front page. The groom's cake was a turntable (in my pics).

Congratulations on your daughter's marriage! It's a magical day. It was brutal to do the cake, but I wouldn't have had it any other way, either!

Beautiful cakes!! I know what you mean = I wore all those hats also, even did the decorating of the reception site. But wouldn't change a thing- loss of sleep was well worth it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%