Cake Batter Amount For 12X18 Sheet Pan.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 24 Sep 2015 , 6:39am by Luv2_bake09

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 20

I need to make a castle cake and looking at my various pans I figured the quickest thing for me is to bake a 12x18 sheet cake and cut/stack instead of baking several layers of smaller cakes.

I have never used my 12x18 pan before so I consulted the Wilton batter chart, which makes me a little confused. It says I need 14 cups of batter, which according to their website is the equivalent of approx 3 cake mixes. Is that right?

I don't use cake mixes but most of the scratch recipes I use are about the same amount as one mix.

Also when you bake such a big sheet I assume it is good to throw in a few flower nails. How many would you put in? 2 or 4?

19 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 20

I use 3 cake mixes for a 12x18. Be sure and post pics of your cake!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 20

I think there's around 5 cups of batter in a cake mix. So that makes sense. That would be about 15 cups. Obviously, different brands are going to differ slightly in the amount that the box yields.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 20

I use 3 cake mixes in my 12x18x3 pan so I think you're on track for the amount of batter. I use 2 flower nails and it works out fine, but more wouldn't hurt either.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 20

I scratch bake and my chocolate recipe needs 2 for the pan but my vanilla cake needs 2 1/2 recipes so I make 3 and then make cupcakes.

BakingGirl Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 20

Thank you all for your most helpful replies. I bought a whole load of huge cake pans when I first started decorating, but I have barely used any of them. So good advice to new cakers- don't buy the big pans unless you know you really need them. I even I have one (16x16") that I discovered today won't even fit into my oven - DOH!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I even I have one (16x16") that I discovered today won't even fit into my oven - DOH!

Oh no! Sell that bad boy on Ebay or something!

Or try to talk your hubby into a new oven. icon_lol.gif

BakingGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 20

Oh, I think a new oven would be the more sensible option rather than selling my cake pan, don't you think. Selling it would be admitting defeat! I am sure my hubby will completely agree with me - or maybe not, hm.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 20

Wow, Bakinggirl...you are right! I never thought of seeing if my 16x16 will fit into my oven. I have had it since April, and never used it. Better check. If not, we can sell the PAIR of them on e-bay!!

BakingGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 20

You know, I have seen the advice a million times here on CC to check if your pans will check the oven, it never even occurred to me that would be a problem in my oven. I consider my oven quite big, but it is a fan assisted oven so where the fan part is in the back it is a bit shallower. So I could fit the pan in, but only at the very top or very bottom of my oven. Burnt top cake anyone?

If yours does not fit either we have to come up with a creative use for two 16" pans, got to be able to build something out of all that aluminium.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 20

That's funny because my husband is in the process of building an outdoor kitchen for my cake obsession. When I went to look for an oven I brought a 16" cake pan with me because my regular oven only holds a 14" and its a tight fit.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 20

I always use cake mixes and I use 3 for the 12x18

BakingGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 20

You have a nice husband pattigunter! Mind if I borrow him for a bit, would not mind converting my outdoor workshop into a cake shop? And if I do, I will make sure I get a bigger oven! Which oven did you get, out of curiosity?

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 20

I've only used my 16X16 once (okay, twice if you count that it was a 2 layer cake). It just fit into my oven - I think it was touching the door! But at least it did fit. Now, if only someone would make a 16X16 cooling rack!!

I'm hoping to convert my laundry room into a 2nd kitchen. It's quite large (as compared to some laundry rooms). Besides the washer/dryer and 2 laundry sinks, it also holds a 2nd fridge, a chest freezer, and a few portable pantries (and several boxes of clothes the kids have outgrown). Doing a 2nd kitchen will also give me the incentive to get rid of stuff - packrats unite!

My dream oven (for home use) is the one that's on "Three And A Half Men", in Charlie's kitchen. Nice big oven (1 1/2 sized, if not double). {sigh} Some day.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 20

That's funny. Maybe with all the metal, we could build a bigger oven! I am thinking of the fact that I do have a cookie pan which is a tight squeeze. If I try to put it in with anything else, the door just won't close without being pushed. Something you really don't always thing of when buying pans (or ovens) icon_wink.gif

Luv2_bake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv2_bake09 Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 5:10pm
post #16 of 20

Ok so reading a couple of the posts I can say it takes approximately 3 batters to properly fill up this size pan. With the 3 batters is the cake layered with icing on the middle or something like just iced on top and sides like how Walmart does it?. And what is the purpose of the flower nails that some of u mention here of using?

Thank you!!

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 9:11pm
post #17 of 20

I also use 3 cake mixes in my 12x18 pan.  I find for the larger pans I often need a bit more batter than the Wilton chart says.

I've done one wedding cake with a 16" square base tier, and the pan *just* fit in my oven.

Fortunately my local cake shop rents out pans, so I was able to rent that pan rather than buying it and then having to store it in my tiny townhouse.  I'm a hobby baker who only does about 1 wedding cake every 2 years or so for friends, so the odds of using it again are very low.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 9:13pm
post #18 of 20

The 3 batters will make one 2" tall cake layer.  You can torte it if you want to add filling, or you can bake a second layer (with 3 more recipes of batter) to stack on top for a 4" tall cake.

The flower nail or nails are put in the pan flat side down, to help conduct heat into the middle of the cake and make it bake more evenly.

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 23 Sep 2015 , 9:15pm
Luv2_bake09 Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 9:33pm
post #19 of 20

Ooooooh ok, thank you so much for that information..

Luv2_bake09 Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 6:39am
post #20 of 20

I would like to know from everyone when you make these big batters which type of mixer do you use? 4, 5 qt and remake 3 batters after one another. Or a bigger at mixer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%