Camo Design

Decorating By scionmom Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm by scionmom

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

I am doing a camo cake for my son tomorow and I was wondering if I could pipe the colors in blotches and just smooth them together or would they all just mix too much? Or would it be best to maybe do in fondant and mat the different colors together? I thought of using the spray colors since I dont have an airbrush but dont really want to do that. TIA!

10 replies
BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 11

i have a cake to do like this next month,and had the same questions. hopefully someone who has done a cake like this can help!

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 11

Well, I am not sure that I am much help, but I airbrushed a camo cake, I started out with gray fondant, textured lines into it and airbrushed brown and green into it, here is a picture- I have heard of people doing it with buttercream and just piping the different colors in random shapes- HTH
LL

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 11

I just did camo cupcakes this past weekend. I used crusting buttercream, placed it on in chunks then smoothed it a couple minutes later. Easy & fun to do. You can see it in my pics...why can't I ever get a pic to show up here?

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 11

I have one in my photos. I just colored about 4 different colors of buttercream and iced randomly on the cake. I think it turned out pretty good.

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 11

I randomly piped the different colors next to each other with BC. Once it crusted for a few minutes, then used the roller to smooth it all out. It blended fine.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #7 of 11

Maybe this will give you the idea of what the difference between buttercream and fondant camo will look like.

Ok, I bet that didn't work. You can copy and paste these links or just look in my photos. How do I post a pic from my gallery?.. Without down sizing photos from my computer icon_rolleyes.gif

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 11

the links...geez

Fondant camo....made different sized balls of colors and smashed them into one big ball and rolled out.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1320169

Buttercream camo....piped outline of shapes then filled them in with crusting buttercream and smooth out with viva or roller.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1461936

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 11

If you want to pm me your email I will send you a picture toutorial on how to do it..I know for me seeing it done helps a lot. icon_wink.gif

scionmom Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:28am
post #10 of 11

Thank you all so much! It really did help, I ended up making a practice one yesterday... after all, he has to have a cake on his actual bday, not just one for the party on Saturday. I piped in the design with a small tip and then went over with all the different colors. The one thing I did mess up was I didnt try and smooth the different sections after piping and before crusting. It kinda left the texture in the colors. And then of course he came home and I didnt have time to smooth it right then, had to wait till after bed so it has been an ordeal!!! It does look ok, but nothing i am really willing to be excited over. I think for the cake this weekend I will just leave the camo off and do a battle scene cake. Which is what I planned to do, but with camo on the sides.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I did 'cheat' a little. I made my own white bc but I HATE turning white icing black so I just bought some chocolate (havent gotten chocolate bc recipe right yet) and just turned it black. Such a pain to work with!! The black will not get smooth and when I was smoothing with Viva.... all the colors bled onto the papertowel so it took more of those to do this lil 8' cake than it does to do a big one. Dont think I will try this again... Unless I decide later on to tackle this as a personal challenge... HAHA!
Anyways, thank you all for the advice.

scionmom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #11 of 11

Here is a link to my cake that I did.... If you look at the black, you can tell it didnt get smooth. Everyone at the restaurant loved it and there was another family right behind us with 3 little boys, they were just in awe (made me feel so good!), so i had to give them some. My son loved it and was telling me to never lie to him again! I had told him that i had dropped it the day before while i was decorating it to suprise him with! Thank you all so much for the advice and help!!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1489889

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%