Baby Block Cake...what Would You Charge?

Decorating By chelseak Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 4:38am by chelseak

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:42am
post #1 of 27

So this lady wants this cake....For 15 people.... I am guessing the smallest I should do each block is 6", x 4 blocks. So right there that is a minimum of what...32 servings? Should I just let her know that if she wants that cake she has to pay for that many servings and see if maybe she changes her mind?

What would you charge for a cake like this????
LL

26 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:05am
post #2 of 27

Well, I don't really charge for cakes, but I would say, yes, she needs to pay for all of the servings she's going to get - even if it's more than she needs.

But - in my experience, perfectly square cakes are a nightmare. I've done baby blocks twice - hardest cakes I've ever done to get them square and to stack right. I hate them!

You could try making just three blocks instead of four to cut down on the size, though, just maybe stack them a bit differently.

Good luck.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:21am
post #3 of 27

i agree she needs to pay for what she gets. you can reduce the number of blocks you make to meet the number of people it will serve.
im sure if she hears that she needs to pay for 30+ servings and is only having half that many people she might go smaller.
good luck!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:48am
post #4 of 27

Industry standard servings are 1x2x4, so if you make each block 6x6x4, that's 18 servings per block and for 4 blocks that's 72 servings total. I'd charge $180 ($2.50/serving). How many servings does she actually need? 15? That's nuts! She only needs ONE block to serve 15 people.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 27

Yeah a cake like that is not based on the number of servings - she wants it because it looks good! It can sometimes be even more time consuming to try and downsize a design, just as much work for less money! If she only wants a small cake, I personally would steer her toward something like an 8" with little fondant blocks on top as decoration. Same sort of colours etc, but not so extravagant for 15 people! JMO - maybe she has cash to burn! Dont sell yourself short! icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 27

Baby blocks are a serious PTA! So hard to get smooth and clean edged. My baby block cake was one of the first I ever did, nearly drove me around the bend. My blocks were small though, cut 9 blocks out of a 9" cake. So if you are going to do this cake make sure you charge accordingly, it takes a long time to do.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 27

Are you saying that if she has to pay for each serving, she may change her mind, and you will lose the order, and you don't want that to happen? If that's the cake she wants and that's what the servings come out to, then that is how many servings she has to pay for. I don't work for free, nor do I give away extra servings, just to keep an order.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 27

Well a block needs to be square right? So three 4x4x4s would serve 24? So I'd charge 24 x $8. They are every bit the pia that we all have already mentioned upthread. Seems so easy but so not!

It's a sculpture with 15 nice smooth surfaces to produce/maintain and decorate individually and then you gotta stack it.

Huge engineering endeavor. Crazy huh. So I think that's right about $200 plus delivery.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 27

Thanks, k8, for pointing out that to make a square you need 3 layers, not 2.

Just for illustration, here's how I'd do the math if it was my order.

Fondant = $4.50/serving.

6" square serves 18. But that's based on a 2-layer cake. with a 3-layer cake, they are getting 50% more cake in each of the 18 servings, so my price per servings would be 50% more. $4.50 x 50% = $2.25 + the original $4.50 = $6.75/serving.

three blocks of 18 servings each = 54 servings x $6.75/serving = $364.50.

you want bells and whistles? you get to pay for them.

Curiously .... what did she say she expected to pay for cake?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 27

I was also going to say you could do 4x4x4's.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 27

I've only done baby blocks for family and it was part of my gift to them because nobody wants to pay that much for them here.
It's a great cake but please make sure you charge enough for them, they do take a lot more time then you realize.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 27

This is a little hard to explain, but here goes. Make 2 8 inch square cakes and stack them on top of each other. (four inches high) then cut 1/4 of the cake off. Leave the other 3/4 intact. This way you are making 4 4 inch blocks, but the other 3 will just be made to look like they are separated by decorating them that way. They still are together. Then decorate the last block and put it on top with dowels and all that. Can anyone jump in here and explain this better. It still is quite a bit of cake, but will be easier.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 27

Oh yeah - that's brilliant! Doesn't cut down on the number of servings, no - but wish I had thought of that for the last one I did!

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 27

Oh and I should have said, make sure to freeze the cake before you start to decorate it so that you have less crumb mess and can easily handle the
little one.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARAJEAN

This is a little hard to explain, but here goes. Make 2 8 inch square cakes and stack them on top of each other. (four inches high) then cut 1/4 of the cake off. Leave the other 3/4 intact. This way you are making 4 4 inch blocks, but the other 3 will just be made to look like they are separated by decorating them that way. They still are together. Then decorate the last block and put it on top with dowels and all that. Can anyone jump in here and explain this better. It still is quite a bit of cake, but will be easier.

Excellent solution! thumbs_up.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Are you saying that if she has to pay for each serving, she may change her mind, and you will lose the order, and you don't want that to happen? If that's the cake she wants and that's what the servings come out to, then that is how many servings she has to pay for. I don't work for free, nor do I give away extra servings, just to keep an order.

Just noticed your signature....... woo hoo !!!! OMG ..... I wanna put that as mine too - Maybe we can start a new group !! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #17 of 27

Just wanted to offer an alternative. This one was 6X6X4 (so not perfectly square blocks). The bottom two were cake and the top was a dummy, therefore there was no need to dowel.
LL

lthiele Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:

Ahhhh haaaaaaaaa - VERY CLEVER!! I like it! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Just wanted to offer an alternative. This one was 6X6X4 (so not perfectly square blocks). The bottom two were cake and the top was a dummy, therefore there was no need to dowel.

Cute blocks. So you measured the height of the styrofoam and then cut the other the cakes to match the styrofoam?

I think that's a great idea as well.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:11pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

Quote:

Ahhhh haaaaaaaaa - VERY CLEVER!! I like it! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, Barbara Jeaneeous!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Cute blocks. So you measured the height of the styrofoam and then cut the other the cakes to match the styrofoam?

I think that's a great idea as well.

Nah, no measuring involved. I ordered a dummy that was 6X6X4. My bottom blocks may have been just a smidge over that, but not enough to tell.

chelseak Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #22 of 27

So I just wanted to post that she got back to me with her budget...... $50! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I just thought I would share that cause it amused meicon_smile.gif

lthiele Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:31am
post #23 of 27

hahahahahahaha - it amused me too!!!! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

lthiele Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #24 of 27

But you wait - the next call will be "But why cant you just make a smaller version?" icon_cry.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

Baby blocks are a serious PTA! So hard to get smooth and clean edged. My baby block cake was one of the first I ever did, nearly drove me around the bend. My blocks were small though, cut 9 blocks out of a 9" cake. So if you are going to do this cake make sure you charge accordingly, it takes a long time to do.

Best done on very well chilled cake. You apply the fondant in panels, rather than covering in one piece. Most of the really well done ones are done in this manner. Then you do borders and decos to hide the seams.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

So I just wanted to post that she got back to me with her budget...... $50! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I just thought I would share that cause it amused meicon_smile.gif

Ha! Not a chance.

chelseak Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:38am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

But you wait - the next call will be "But why cant you just make a smaller version?" icon_cry.gif

She totally did!!! Direct quote:
"And isthereany way to downsize the block cake"

Um. No.

So she is getting an 8" round with a rattle on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%