Is It Too Dark For 60Yr Man Bday?

Decorating By Horselady Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm by CarolAnn

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 13

Okay I'm trying this again!

Making a surprise bday party cake for bf so design has to be simple. The colors for the party are navy blue black and silver. I had planned on doing the base in these colors but add disco or luster dust to the decorations.

The sizes are 12" square in navy, 9" round in black, 6" square in silver.

12 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #2 of 13

I think the design looks GREAT! It is a little too dark for my taste though--but then, that is only me.

How about adding some white accents?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 13

my only beef:

purple is so much more royal and classy than navy blue!

but then I do love purple (but not "that" dinosaur!)

----

looks like he's going to get one great cake!

Horselady Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 13

Trying again! I think I'll make center silver but I've come up w a plan that will let him put input into his own cake without knowing it!

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 13

[quote="Doug"] I do love purple (but not "that" dinosaur!)

quote]

icon_lol.gif I agree!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 13

Your design sounds nice but true navy blue is very close to black, so it'll be dark alright. With a deep purple you would have more distinction between it and the black. Being married to a 60 something man myself I think I can say your guy will likely still be able to appreciate a darkly masculine cake for his b-day. Be sure that you post a pic when it's finished.

Horselady Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 13

Good point on the shade of navy. I was thinking of a shade somewhere between true navy and royal. Maybe that helps a little?

It is so funny to me when people say something and everyone hears something else because of their own spin on things! It is one of the things I love about CC because you get so many different view points.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 13

I think black has to be used carefully on a cake--

I think that your own worries are legit--you are questioning the darkness and it will be a dark cake. To me, it doesn't say 'happy birthday'. I'm in this same generation I'm pushing 60 myself--just my thoughts.

I don't know -- it's such a subjective choice.

Horselady Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 13

I see your point about it not really saying happy birthday, but since I'm also planning the whole party I wasn't thinking of it as a birthday cake, more of an elegant yet masculine cake that adds to the theme/decor/abiance. I actually don't know how to incorperate a birthday cake into a tiered cake unless "happy birthday" is written on it, in which case I think it's a little less elegant, especially with my writting! Lol

Now thinking of dark blue (not really navy) background with large silver floral patter accented with black (either done with fondant covered in disco dust or done in painted on luster dust? Is large floral pattern (think hydrangea I think they're called) to girly?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 13

I think with a touch of white here and there, the color scheme sounds great!

I had some wrapping paper once with pretty much that same color combo and it was very elegant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 13

I also think adding in some white would fix the whole thing--but if you are going for an elegant cake rather than a <shakes fingers in air like playing a piano> "Happy Birthday" cake--I think you'd have it.

I'd wanna be sure there was good lighting on it. Especially since the party will be in the evening?

Ix-nay on the hydrageas--I think.

I don't know--navy hydrangeas with silver dots and black edges would like totally rock.

But a patern on the cake hmm I'm thinking it might be girly.

Wow--these are toughies! icon_smile.gif

Horselady Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #12 of 13

Good point on the lighting. Never thought of it. Silly me.
Here is the next idea. I am going to make it its own post lol. The color iss off but picture the background as a dark ble, not navy, the flowers silver luster and the black spots in disco dust.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

I see your point about it not really saying happy birthday, but since I'm also planning the whole party I wasn't thinking of it as a birthday cake, more of an elegant yet masculine cake that adds to the theme/decor/abiance. I actually don't know how to incorperate a birthday cake into a tiered cake unless "happy birthday" is written on it, in which case I think it's a little less elegant, especially with my writting! Lol

Now thinking of dark blue (not really navy) background with large silver floral patter accented with black (either done with fondant covered in disco dust or done in painted on luster dust? Is large floral pattern (think hydrangea I think they're called) to girly?

I like your first design. My guy would like the colors but he'd see those florals and think "girly". For a guy I'd keep it sleek, masculine and minimum frills.

I see where you're going with this and I agree. You can lose the usual "Happy Birthday" theme and have a lovely celebration. Your plan sounds very nice to me. Have fun with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%