What To Charge?

Baking By cakesalot13 Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm by ERdocmom

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 17

What to charge for 50- flavored and fondant decorated cupcakes, 10 each of a flavor and five different designs? Is $3 per reasonable?

16 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 17

How elaborate of a fondant deco? Many bakeries sell basic BC swirl'd and sprinkled cuppies for $3 a piece, so I'd think fondant deco'd ones should be $5 a piece or more depending on the deco (how time consuming/how much fondant will it use?).

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:14am
post #3 of 17

HOLY MOLEY!!! $3 to $5!!! You guys have a lot of confidence! I would be embarrassed to charge that, do people really pay that? I need to do more cupcakes!! I am impressed. icon_surprised.gifthumbs_up.gif

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 17

I have a delima. I sell the standard size cupcakes for between $1.50 to $1.75 each & I'm thinking that maybe I should be selling the jumbo size for that price. Anyone with advise please comment. Oh! one more thing, if I upgrade to jumbo size liners do I have to purchase jumbo pans? I have about 7 standard size pans & I can't afford right now to make the switch. Thanks everyone.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 17

It's a piece of cake....and it's more labor intensive, so why shouldn't it be more?

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 17

Yes you have to have jumbo pans to make jumbo cupcakes. I will tell you that I made 220 of them a couple of weeks ago and I sold them for $2.50 a piece and I was irate with myself. That was the first time I had done them and they don't look that much bigger, but they took almost twice as much batter as a regular size cupcake and a lot more frosting. I did a show on Tuesday and I did regular size filled cupcakes with a buttercream swirl for $2.00 a piece and I sold all 12 dozen I had in 2 1/2 hours so yes people will pay that price.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 17

I don't advertise that I make cupcakes, and turn down requests for them weekly. I will do them in conjunction with a super huge cake order though, but even then, I won't do more than 2 dozen, regardless of design.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 17

And that's for large weddings when someone wants to have a sspecial area for the kiddos with their own treats.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 17

Long response sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. I asked the ? about the size & costs because I was just asked to make 60 cupcakes for a co-workers 60th birthday next month. I had just offered her 1 of the 2 red velvet cupcakes I brought in from home. When I offered her 1 she asked if she could have both, she played it off like she was joking but I know she was serious as a heart attack. The nerve of some folks! Don't be a hog (oops! did I say that out loud)? HAHAHA. When I gave her the price for 5 dozen she looked at the red velvet & turned it upside down & sideways to then asked if that was the size for $1.50 a cupcake. I have to keep in mind that every time she asked about the price for things I could make her, she always follows it with can she get discount. That's what got me thinking that maybe I'm charging too much. For some reason I don't think I'll be getting her business. By the way she wants 60 cuppies 30 colored black & 30 white each with a fondant 60 on each. Now I wanted to say lady give me a break, you're luck I'm only charging you $90 & not $120. icon_mad.gif TFL I just hade to vent on that one

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 17

For some people, can I get a discount just rolls off their tongues with no thought of tact or even if it is appropriate. Don't know where this mentality developed. However, it seems to be a growing disease. icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 17

I'm scared to ask for discounts! LOL My cousins own a tire and rim shop and I have never thought about asking them for a discount. If they give me one then when they need cupcakes/cookies/ cake I give them a discount as equal to the one they gave me...but that is family!!

The nerve of some ppl.

alvarezmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 17

Oh and I charge $15 a DZ of standard cupcakes, BC Swirl, and a medium MMF flower. I always have MMF on hand so it's not big deal to me.

The Jumbo cupcakes I charge $5 ea.

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #13 of 17

I am trying to figure this one out myself, as I normally make things and give them out for free and today I took my first "order". I called some local bakeries to see what they charge, minimums, etc. So, I ended up asking for 1.25 each-standard size with ganache filling, SMBC frosting, and fondant accents. This was not my original plan as I was going to add .25 each for filling and fondant accents. I am so not a business person (my day job is working in an ER)! Anyhow, I'm sure that I won't do that again (go with the lower price)-want to at least cover the cost of the ingrediants!

alvarezmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdocmom

I am trying to figure this one out myself, as I normally make things and give them out for free and today I took my first "order". I called some local bakeries to see what they charge, minimums, etc. So, I ended up asking for 1.25 each-standard size with ganache filling, SMBC frosting, and fondant accents. This was not my original plan as I was going to add .25 each for filling and fondant accents. I am so not a business person (my day job is working in an ER)! Anyhow, I'm sure that I won't do that again (go with the lower price)-want to at least cover the cost of the ingrediants!

Some times we under charge because we dont know how much time will be put into a order. Take my advice making ganache filling can be time consuming. Next time start in the ball park of $2.00 each and that is low compared to some CC'ers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Let us know how it went and what you decide to charge for the same cupcake after you have finished the order! thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 17

I have paid $36 for a dozen cupcakes and this shop sells out EVERYDAY. I also won't do cupcakes, cause it's not cost effective for me or the client. I reccomend them to the cupcake shop I go to if they really want cupcakes. And a $1.25 for a cupcake with ganache & SMBC!?!?!?PLEASE never do that again.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

$1.25 for a cupcake with ganache & SMBC!?!?!?

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_sad.gif

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks, everyone! Yeah, that was just plain stupid on my part and lesson already learned. I usually live by one of my favorite quotes (by Anthony Robbins): Failing to prepare is preparing to fail! but no harm done.
:> You guys are awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%