Recipe For Regular Fondant

Baking By msnrozier Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm by ApplegumKitchen

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hello,

I am looking for a recipe for regular fondant, I do NOT like MM fondant, it's to heavy and it takes forEVER to dry!!!! Also it had pockets of sugar balls, so I just can't do it anymore, I need to learn how to make reg fondant!!!

Does anyone have a easy fondant recipe!

Thank you,

Nikki

6 replies
ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 7

This is an Australian recipe - although suspect it is one used by English gals as well - used it for many years prior to Bakels Pettinice being readily available.

HOMEMADE RTR FONDANT

this recipe will provide enough to cover an 11inch round or 10inch square cake

1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon gelatine
3 tablespoons liquid glucose
1 tablespon glycerine
5 cups sifted pure icing sugar
extra 1-1/2 cups sifted pure icig sugar

Dissolve gelatine in water (either in the microwave - medium heat for 10sec bursts) or in bowl over a saucepan of simmering water DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL (because this will destroy the setting qualities of the gelatine)

Remove from heat and add glucose and glycerine, stir to combine and cool to lukewarm.
Place icing sugar into a basin (I use glass or stainless), make a well in the centre and add the liquid. Stir until icing sugar is combined. When mixture becomes too stiff to stir, mix with hand.
Turn fondant out onto a surface that has been well dusted with the extra sifted icing sugar. Knead lightly until it becomes smooth, pliable and without stickiness.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 7

I like Michele Foster's recipe listed in the recipe section here at CC.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 7

Michelle Foster's Fondant is very popular with many CC-ers, although myself I just buy Satin Ice.

As for fondant being heavy though, all rolled frostings are on the heavy side, depending on how thin you roll them for covering the cake.

As for drying time, if you are making figures out of the fondant, you may be better off going with either 100% gum paste instead of fondant or a 50-50 gum paste-fondant mixture. Gum paste can be rolled thinner than fondant and dries faster, but isn't for covering the cake.

HTH!

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 7

thank you all very much!! also where do I buy glycerine? is it in a reg supermarket? or like a wholefoods?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=glycerine

Wilton also makes it, so you should be able to find it in any store that carries Wilton products, such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 7

We buy it in Health Food Stores here - or a pharmacy (Chemist)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%