Anyone Had Trouble With Satin Ice? Mine Cracked!

Decorating By Jeniwin Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 4:04am by Motta

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 29

Yesterday I had to cover a 12" round with fondant. I used Satin Ice brand for the first time. I usually use the old Wilton brand (I know), but I decided to step it up. Boy, I didn't expect the smoothness of the SI brand. It rolled great, until I got it thin enough. Then it was all down hill from there. Cracked, torn, you name it. I had to color it aqua, and that took about 10 minutes total, from opening the bucket to getting the color mixed. It rested in plastic wrap for about 10 more minutes, then I rolled it out. Did I do something wrong? Needless to say, I had to take it off the cake and use the Wilton.

Please advise. . . Thanks!!!

28 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 29

In "my" opinion, Wilton has a better consistency than Satin Ice. I sometimes find Satin Ice too soft, you will just have to work your way through it.

Are you rolling it too thin? Did you knead it very well? Also adding gel color to a soft fondant will have a change in consistency--making it a lot more difficult to handle.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:55am
post #3 of 29

I used satin ice black for the first leather jacket I made and it cracked for me.the color was real black but the next jacket I made my own and it was better.

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:10am
post #4 of 29

I used gel color. It was my usual thickness, don't think too thin. I kneeded it for a bit, so it was nice and workable.

Can you all advise on a brand to buy that tastes good and is user friendly, other than Wilton? I have 2 six-month olds and a two year old, so if I can cut out a step by buying ready made that would help save time.

Thanks for all the advise!

Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:40am
post #5 of 29

I've used Satin Ice and Fondx and they perform well. The first time I used Satin Ice, I had TONS of problems but once you get used to it, it will be better.

Taste wise, I prefer Chocopan and then Fondx and Satin Ice being the last. My number one suggestion is Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe--it doesn't take a lot of time to make and it is basically mess free.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:48am
post #6 of 29

I had mine crack once, I dont know why..it was just strange.
Edna icon_smile.gif

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:58am
post #7 of 29

I just used black Satin Ice for the first time last weekend, and I did not really like it. It smelled funny and was sooo soft and kept sticking to everything. It did crack a bit on the corners too.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:02am
post #8 of 29

rylan if one wishes to color fondant; instead of gel colorants; what should we use? a powder color or something like americolor? (both i have not used so i can't give my own experience)

Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:27am
post #9 of 29

For darker colors, many people suggest to use powdered food color (never tried it) or better to just airbrush it.

If the color is light, I doesn't really hurt to use gel food coloring.

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:28am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

I just used black for the first time last weekend, and I did not really like it. It smelled funny and was sooo soft and kept sticking to everything. It did crack a bit on the corners too.

I got to say that black fondant has that issue. If you make it yourself it's just as bad or worst. I add cornstarch ot more sugar to help fix the consistency. But it can be a pain.
Edna icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:44am
post #11 of 29

i have to say it has been a while since i did a fondant cake, i just opened new red and black satin ice this weekend. And it was very soft, much softer then the last time i used it. I wonder if they have changed something in their recipe.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:49am
post #12 of 29

I use homemade MFF for everything but black, and I have only used Satin Ice black. Hate it. It dries wrinkly and leathery (great if that's the look you want! Once I actually did want it!) and generally looks awful.

I was wondering if there is another brand precolored black?

Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:13am
post #13 of 29

I believe Chocopan has precolored black as well as the one that Cal Java sells.

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #14 of 29

I just take chocolate fondant and add a little black. It works great.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 29

I just posted last week on this very subject. I had a horrible weekend with Satin Ice. I have used it many times and never had this many issues. Bubbling, rippling and it was horrible. I have had cracks in the past and dealt with those, but not much you can do when you have bubbles all over and ripples, it was awful, just about made me give up caking!!!!

janet2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janet2009 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 29

I used Pettinice brand. It's easy to work with.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 29

I finally gave up on SI for the same reason and switched to Fondarific. I've been using it for about 8 months now and I LOVE it! It's definitely more expensive though. It comes in black. They will send you samples of your choice.

janet2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janet2009 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 29

Hi RYLAN...i want to take this oppoetunity to thank you for all the tutorials you shared with us. It's a great help for us being a newbie in cake decorating....many thanks.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #19 of 29

I used satin ice black for my dragster and did not have a problem. When I did the indiana jones with the chocolate s.i. I had to roll it thicker for some reason, maybe because it was applied vertical? The ivory for the face was way too soft, but the white was perfect. Could it be it depends on the thickness rolled and how soon after the satin ice was made when purchased? For the black I think it was older fondant because it was firmer than the others. IDK, just my two cents.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #20 of 29

I heard somewhere that Satin Ice has changed their formula some and people are having problems with it since then. Why do they change things that work????

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

I heard somewhere that has changed their formula some and people are having problems with it since then. Why do they change things that work????

Yep, years ago it worked beautifully for me. I took a little break with cake decorating and when I started back up, SI was a whole different product (for me, anyway).

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:

I heard somewhere that has changed their formula some and people are having problems with it since then. Why do they change things that work????

Yes!.. I been having issues with it that I didnt used to have
Edna icon_smile.gif

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

Edna, you must try Fondarific! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiguntIer

Edna icon_smile.gif

My issue is I work in a place where the materials are supplied to me. I have to deal with the issues as they arise.. icon_surprised.gifops
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet2009

Hi RYLAN...i want to take this oppoetunity to thank you for all the tutorials you shared with us. It's a great help for us being a newbie in cake decorating....many thanks.

No problem Janet. As a newbie as well, I wanted to share this to people who hasn't seen them yet. I hope you enjoyed watching them.

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:19pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

My issue is I work in a place where the materials are supplied to me. I have to deal with the issues as they arise.. icon_surprised.gifops
Edna icon_smile.gif

Ohhhh, gotcha! I wonder if the SI folks are aware of these issues...

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:31pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

Edna icon_smile.gif

Ohhhh, gotcha! I wonder if the SI folks are aware of these issues...

I am not sure if they know, but I have seen a lot of posts in the last month over this situation.
Edna icon_smile.gif

O

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #28 of 29

I used to have issues with Satin Ice cracking on the edges until I changed my method of rolling it out (I used to roll it out on corn starch, then roll onto a rolling pan and unroll onto cake).

I normally coat my hands pretty well with shortening and then knead the fondant, it seems to help to add just a tad of shortening to it to make it more pliable. I then roll it onto a silicon mat that has a very thin layer of shortening on it. Once it is rolled out, I then lift the mat up and lay it over the cake and peel the mat off. This has worked miracles, I no longer get the cracking on the edges, and my air bubbles are minimized. Sharon Zamb ito uses this same method in her Fondant video.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:04am
post #29 of 29

For black, Fondarific is excellent. I'm having issues with SI too.

In fact, if I can find a way to make Wilton's taste better, I'm going to use it. It's actually got a wonderful consistency, texture, everything except the smell and taste (that's kinda important, huh? icon_biggrin.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%