Why Are My Cakes Still Bulging????

Decorating By KimmysKakes Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm by Jeff_Arnett

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 24

Hi there. I have done every trick in the book. I've filled my cakes a day ahead of time to let them settle. I've used stiff buttercream (per Sharon Zambito) for my dams and let them harden before filling. I've crumb coated then used a thick layer of bc before adding fondant and I STILL get bulges. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!!

23 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 24

What kind of pans are you using? The cheap pans have flared edges and don't make straight sides on a cake. If you have two of the same size and same brand and one fits inside the other, then they don't have straight sides.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 24

Are your cakes leveled off across the top?

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 24

I have some Wilton pans but I also have more expensive Fat Daddio pans. Either way, I always trim my cakes after filling them so they have straight edges. They're pretty level across the top. Why would that affect it?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #5 of 24

Even if they're level on top, they also need to be level on the sides. If the pan has a flare to it, it'll stick out on the side when you stack in on the one below unless you make sure the sides are straight up and down.

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:02am
post #6 of 24

It's funny because I never used to trim the sides and I didn't seem to get bulges but now that I'm trimming them and they're perfectly straight, they're bulging. At first I thought the fondant was too heavy and weighing it down, but I lightened it up and they're still bulging. I just don't get it! icon_sad.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 24

Yes - in reference to middle bulges I learned from this awesome site that straight sided pans and sticking something relatively heavy on top of the cake while it's settling REALLY help with the battle of the bulge - I almost never have bulging or weird looking middle layer imperfections on the sides of my cakes nowicon_smile.gif Do you use a really thick layer of filling or a really gloopy filling? That might cause problems...

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 24

I thought that by filling the cakes a day ahead to let them settle would be enough time. Would I still need to add something heavy on top??? I use different fillings but always use a very stiff bc for the dam so the filling shouldn't matter, right?

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #9 of 24

Maybe by trimming off the harder, more baked edges, there's not as much support on the sides by the cake itself? Does that make sense?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #10 of 24

Have you ever tried using ganche under your fondant?
It firms to a nice outer shell on the cake and it helps to keep the filling in.

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #11 of 24

Mjoycake, that actually does make sense. I've been carving away quite a bit of cake and that may be the problem. Flourpots, no I haven't tried ganache UNDER fondant but that sounds like a great idea, too. Maybe both of these suggestions will help. Thanks!!! icon_wink.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:53am
post #12 of 24

Maybe you need to have less filling on the cake..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #13 of 24

I'm with Edna...its gotta be too much filling...I rarely have bulging cakes and I don't use weights or anything like that....

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #14 of 24

I wish it were too much filling but I know that's not the case. icon_sad.gif

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:29pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm with Edna...its gotta be too much filling...I rarely have bulging cakes and I don't use weights or anything like that....

How much filling do you use? I think I use too much, hence the bulging.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #16 of 24

Maybe you use too LITTLE filling. If the middle of the cake sinks in the middle because the level of the filling is lower than the dam, the edges might turn out a little. I always make sure the filling is the same depth as the dam.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #17 of 24

once i got my agbay and used 3 or 4 very thin layers of filling like literally so thin they are just a coating i stopped the bulge - also pressing down on the cake once its all filled helps. my problem was using just one thick layer of filling - now everyone comments on how moist my cakes are and how much nicer to eat with 3 or 4 thin layers instead of one big thick one. pricey but so worth it.

KimmysKakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #18 of 24

Okay, guys, you were right. I was using too much filling! The only reason I increased my filling was because DH said I wasn't using enough and that people love a lot of filling. Serves me right. I just finished a cake and no bulges! Thanks everyone. Happy Halloween!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #19 of 24

I use a thick filling I think--but some are even thicker. This is well whipped cream--no stabilizer with fresh strawberries and lemon berry filling with no starch--all fruit.

http://acmecakes.com/images/R0010948.JPG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little bit different subject:

Now this slice was made just for shooting online pictures for a story I was doing--see under the long edge of icing, see the raggedy edges of cake there where I did not shave the sides? See how important that is (shaving the sides) to get a nice even layer of icing without building it out to an infinite thickness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyhow--nice thick luscious filling thoughts for you.
It can be done without squishing out and better than that sample too.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #20 of 24

I am like you K8memphis...I put about that much for whipped fillings, then for custard fillings I put less.
The custard fillings get too slippery when you add too much.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmysKakes

Hi there. I have done every trick in the book. I've filled my cakes a day ahead of time to let them settle. I've used stiff buttercream (per Sharon Zambito) for my dams and let them harden before filling. I've crumb coated then used a thick layer of bc before adding fondant and I STILL get bulges. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!!

Would you be willing to try this....

Make my icing and try a cake....bet it doesn't bulge. Icings with water or milk tend to bulge.

2 sticks butter, at room temp
1 cup vegetable shortening with transfats [ie no Crisco]
2 pounds powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
a few tablespoons of whipping cream, heated until steaming in the microwave.

Mix the butter and shortening until thorougly blended. Add sugar all at once and mix on low....mixture is dry at first but will come together.
Add whipping cream a tablespoon at a time as needed to thin. Mix in vanilla.

Allow the icing to sit a couple hours before using.

I always ice my cakes then into the cooler, especially if they are to be covered with fondant.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #22 of 24

Jeff,

Very interested in trying your recipe.

Does it crust?

Can you use this recipe with all shortening (I see that you say NO Crisco) and no butter?

Can you use high ratio with this or are you referring to a store brand shortening WITH transfats?

Can you use this for your dam also?

Thanks

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I am like you K8memphis...I put about that much for whipped fillings, then for custard fillings I put less.
The custard fillings get too slippery when you add too much.
Edna icon_smile.gif

<high five>

icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Jeff,

Very interested in trying your recipe.

Does it crust?Thanks

*****No it doesn't crust. I've never liked to work with crusting buttercreams. Under fondant it is not really an issue though.

Can you use this recipe with all shortening (I see that you say NO Crisco) and no butter?

*****You probably could.....but I like the flavor the butter adds.

Can you use high ratio with this or are you referring to a store brand shortening WITH transfats?

*****I use a bulk store brand but hi ratio should be fine too.

Can you use this for your dam also?

*****I use it for everything...dams, icing, piping. I don't use it for flowers, but then I don't do may piped flowers anyway.

I use SMBC to make all my fillings, but this is the icing of choice for icing the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%