Purpose Of Meringue Powder In A Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By sewgratefulquilts Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm by sewgratefulquilts

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 9

In a thread I was recently reading, someone said that the meringue powder had nothing to do with the buttercream crusting. So what purpose does meringue powder have?

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 9

It will be interesting to find out ...... I never knew what people used MP for until I came to CC and saw folks put it in their cake icing. I'd made cake icing for 25 years and never saw a need for it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 9

I would say the Dream Whip, although probably not included in the recipe for that reason, does the same thing as the mp does....I'm having difficulty with the word and locating it...but it's supposed to act as sort of binding agent between the liquids and the fats in the icing and supposed to help with color retention (although, I can not prove it one way or another)

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #4 of 9

I have read that meringue powder is put in buttercream icing as a stabilizer for hot/humid areas.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 9

I used another icing years before using Dream Whip and never used MP, but you're probably right in that it could be a factor. I just never heard of using MP and never have.

Can you help me understand how the Hershey Choc Icing crusts really well with no MP? What's the secret ingredient in that one? Maybe we can adapt it? icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I would say the Dream Whip, although probably not included in the recipe for that reason, does the same thing as the mp does....I'm having difficulty with the word and locating it...but it's supposed to act as sort of binding agent between the liquids and the fats in the icing and supposed to help with color retention

Emulsifier icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not sure though if it would be the egg white or the gum arabic in MP that is supposed to do it. I know I added MP to my recipe before I switched to the Dream Whip one, and it never seemed to do anything except make me use up meringue powder.

I do know that the Dream Whip makes the fat and the sugar blend differently. Look at how easy it is to clean off the bowl and bags...when I used Wilton's recipe, the sugar would leave the bowl first as I was washing it, and leave all the fat behind, stuck all over the bowl.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #7 of 9

The meringue powder "adds strength & duabilty for better decorating & prevents colors from bleeding" according to Wiltons info. The ratio of fat to sugar is what makes an icing crust ie. less fat more sugar better crusting.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 9

I don't think the mp has anything to do with the crusting as touted by one company. There are recipes generations have sworn by that contain an egg per batch...some whole, some just the white.

Although I still use it in my basic buttercream, I don't think it's a necessary ingredient....

for me, change comes slowly and most times, reluctantly....

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm trying to decide if I want to use it or not and I'm out right now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%