Black Food Coloring???

Decorating By arrianna Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 2:39am by Rylan

arrianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arrianna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 7

I looked online the other day and someone said that you can mix equal parts yellow, red and blue food coloring to make black. I tried it and it didn't work. Is it possible to make black food coloring or should I just buy black pre-made already.

6 replies
hjc149 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjc149 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 7

If you can buy black icing where you live I would recomend buying that, If you cant then sugarflair sell a good black past, I have in the past bought black liquid food colouring from the supermarket and boiled off the excess water this makes a really good black.

arrianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arrianna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 7

Yeah, I have a few places I can buy the black. Thanks for the advice for boiling down the liquid.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 7

Chefmasters black is wonderful, no fail
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 7

Just buy black food coloring. If you are going to tint fondant black, I suggest you get ready made black or start with chocolate fondant.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 7

I have to say rylan, not to disrespect icon_redface.gif . Make sure first you want chocolate taste on your cake before doing the fondant with a chocolate base. My clients wouldnt go for that. So I have to do my fondant or buy it premade black.
Edna

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 7

Oh yes Edna, I understand icon_biggrin.gif . She has a point. Make sure your clients approve for it. That doesn't really apply to me because I only make my cakes as gifts and I get to choose the flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%