My 1St Scratch Cake Mix Cake

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm by cylstrial

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 4

So it's not bad. Has tremendous promise.

I got the Jilk Cake emulsion from Albert Uster Imports and just made the Basic Cake--I'm gonna test it out some more. This was just the maiden voyage.

Seemed to suck up the vanilla--difficult to flavor--
They recommend thier Vanini lemon rappe and Frutta Prima Vanilla Bean w/seed compound for good reason I guess. I just squirted in some vanilla then some more, then some more plus almond.

It's weird -- you put everything in the bowl but the butter and mix it up--add the butter & beat it like crazy for 3-5 mins.

I'm kinda pissed because I needed 5.5 ounces of butter. I got out a stick of butter which is 8 tablespoons and in my brain I subtracted the ounces from the tablespoons, apparently lost consciousness, put in the whole stick but all in all shorted myself an ounce & a half--total duh on me!

Anyhow~~I just wanted to make one to spy out the land.

This is kinda exciting. Worlds are colliding huh.

3 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #2 of 4

Sure wish I could taste it! Are you going to get the flavors they suggest or just keep experimenting with the ones you already use? How did it look - did it rise? Texture?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 4

It did rise nice. The flour seemed a little overworked due to the odd directions--beating it on high for 3-5 minutes.

When it came out of the oven, it was papery dry on top--then after a few it moistened out. The texture was very interesting and I think after I use this stuff another time or two I'll get the hang of it.

My son is a chef so he said to make it according to how I would usually make a cake--makes a lot more sense. Should work out fine.

It baked nice & fast which I really liked. It tasted so much better when it cooled off. I doubt I'm gonna buy those flavors they recommend.

The Jilk emulsion stuff is kinda like cloudy weird vaseline or something gloppy-ish, mutant jello would be a good description. I thought it was a powder--not!

Add in the splash and the icing~~it's gonna be killer!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 4

Very interesting! You'll have to keep us posted with what happens!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%