Question About Design Colors

Decorating By Horselady Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm by cylstrial

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys! Need some inspiration/help!

I'm making a cake for bf's surprise birthday party, the big 60. Lol. So the party colors are navy, black, and silver.

I'd pictured a cake that was a 12" square on the bottom with three 2" wide stripes of black with a stripe of silver in that.

Then I thought the second teir would be a 9" round, black fondant with navy and silver squares that over lap etc.

Then I thought the top tier could be a 6" square with black and navy overlapping circles.

If you can picture this does it look too dark to you?

Do you think it would be better to have the 9" round be siver? If so how much luster dust would it take to paint it silver? And can I use disco dust to make it silver or would I be better off with luster?

Tia! Know it is a lot of q's

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 4

It's a dark color combination - but if that's what you want then it's not too dark. I'm sure that it will turn out great!

If you do the 9" silver, you should definitely start with a pale gray fondant. It will be much easier to achieve the color you want. I'd say you'd probably use a container or less. I also use Everclear when painting. Some people use vodka.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the advise. When I picked the colors I hadn't intended to make the cake match. I wanted masculine color for decor and then the cake was to have each tier reflect a section of his life.
But, reality is I have to plan and pull off a surprise party by myself while living with him and he is retired! This isn't going to be easy so I thought KISS and go with something easier and wouldn't have to hide.

I welcom any thoughts! Idk about putting it on a white cake but maybe others see it as fine? I also want it to be manly and it is pretty easy for cakes to get nutral or girly imo

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 4

I think your color combination will work out just fine. Especially, if you're trying to keep it a secret.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%