Fall Basket Cake -- Help!

Decorating By AlphaGirl Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm by diane706

AlphaGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlphaGirl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 9

Happy Sunday, y'all!

I just saw the most fabulous fall basket cake in the gallery. I really want to try to make it, but feel kind of intimidated. Can anyone share instructions for how this basket is made? Pretty please?

Here's a photo of the cake (oh, any clues on how the leaves and pumpikins were made would be fantastic, too! I know-- I'm asking for a lot!!) I promise to pay this "tutoring favor" forward!!

Warmest Regards,
Felicia
LL
LL

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 9

That is a gorgeous cake! Have you tried PM-ing the CC-er who posted the cake?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 9

Yup..I would PM her!!!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 9

Isn't it perfect?
I would love to know as well.
Hope you find out,
Jodi icon_smile.gif

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 9

I use a leaf cookie cutter to cut out my fall leaves. Use RKT for the pumpkins and cover them in fondant. I would think you would use fondant mixed with gumpaste to make the slates of the basket. I would do those days in advance so they could dry. Good luck

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 9

This is what I think... the basket sides are more than likely made from gumpaste (colored light brown first, rolled out and cut into slightly tapered sections, smaller at the bottom wider at the top, that will later be attached to the cake sides with gum glue). Take a toothpick or something sharp and draw "wood grain" in them while they are still soft. I would let those dry for 24 hours at least. After they are dry, you can use brown gel color and paint in the wood grain lines you created to accent them. Then go over the whole thing with a mixture of brown gel color and vodka with a 1" wide flat paintbrush (the kind that has the jagged edges). This will create some natural woodgrain look and a nice variance in color.
The leaves can be made from fondant/gumpaste mixture in fall colors (orange, yellow, browns, reds). These can be mixed together slightly and rolled out and cut with various leaf cutters. Wad up some paper towels and place the leaves on them to create a more natural look as opposed to plain ol' flat leaves. The pumpkins are probably just fondant or fondant/gum paste mixture colored orange. Roll in a ball, make vertical indentations and use a ball tool if you have one to indent the top. Make a simple stem from green fondant. Does this help or did I explain everything you already know?? icon_redface.gif

diane706 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 9

Actually, the pumpkins look pretty big, so you can use either styrofoam balls or RKT covered in fondant. thumbs_up.gif

AlphaGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlphaGirl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #8 of 9

You ladies ROCK!! Thanks so much for the advice. I'm using all of it. And, yes, Diane -- what you said helped a WHOLE lot. I'm following your instructions, step by step.

I appreciate you!
Felicia

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 9

Remember to post the pics when you're done
Happy caking!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%