Preventing The Un-Iced Area From Drying Out?

Baking By daisy1224 Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 9:44pm by cylstrial

daisy1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy1224 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 5

When icing with a BC swirl and leaving the edge un-iced, is there anything to do to keep that area from drying out and getting hard? Brushing with a sugar syrup, maybe??

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 5

I just try to do it as last minute as possible...keep the cupcakes wrapped until ready to ice, and then box up for delivery the next day.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 5

I sold my cupcakes in upside down clear cups with lids as their bases. This really helped to keep them moist. Depending on how many you are doing you could keep them in cups.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 5

When I do the swirl, I take it right to the edge, covering all of the top of the cuppie. This is how we were taught to do it at Publix (not that all the other decorators did it correctly).

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I sold my cupcakes in upside down clear cups with lids as their bases. This really helped to keep them moist. Depending on how many you are doing you could keep them in cups.

Definitely! thumbs_up.gif Keeping them packaged helps a lot! You could also brush a little simple syrup on before you the frosting on, and then put them in the cups too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%