Fondant Fall Leaves

Decorating By leighanns Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm by Uniqueask

leighanns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leighanns Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen beautiful fall leaves all over the site, but can't find how to make them. I have cutters I'm using for the shape and I plan on coloring my fondant. BUT, should I mix the colors? Red/orange? Orange/yellow? Brown/Yellow? How do I get them to look JUST like REAL fall leaves. It's for my FIRST wedding cake! I'm so excited, but could really use some help. THANKS!

7 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 8

after you color the leaves in one color, you use luster dust, two different colors and blend them in, for instance you can use orange and yellow etc, etc

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know the "real" way but I've got a couple cakes in my photos that have fall leaves. If you like the look... I just marble a few colors of gum paste together and roll thin. Then use different cutters in leaf shapes. I use the ball tool to thin the edges and I give it some veins (dont' have a veiner so I do it free hand). Then I luster dust with pink, bronze, yellow, green.... to enhance the depth...

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 8

I did a fall leaves cake for Thanksgiving last year and the leaves looked so real! I wish I had a pic, but I don't know where the majority of my pics are filed between 3 computers, 7 sd cards and 4 phones...I really need to get it together one day.
I colored fondant red, yellow, orange in different shades and dry painted the edges and veining with dry luster or petal dust in contrasting colors to make it look like they are turning color in different stages. Much better than marbling the fondant. HTH! I will try to find a pic to post, I made acorns too, so cute! I still have some left-over that have hardened since last year.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 8

On second thought, well blended marbling combined with luster dust loks great on shills cakes!

Uniqueask Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 8

I forgot to say You do need to thin the edges, with a ball tool. and to vein the leaves, another way you can vein leaves other than freehand, and a veiner is to use corn husks, it gives you good veins.

shill your cakes and leaves looks awesome.

leighanns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leighanns Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 8

Great! So many ideas! Thank y'all so much! So I'm looking and Wilton does NOT sell luster dust and I know that the Shimmer dust is different. Do y'all have a store that sells it or do you buy it online? And will I need the same color dust as the leaves or just a silver/gold color? More questions, sorry.

Uniqueask Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 8

I bought luster dust, from my cake lady, Wilton Brand, and I also order the CK products brand, from her but they are a wholesale company, the retail company for them is www.countrykitchensa.com.
I have a dvd I just bought from Susan Carberry, for a fall cake and the colors she used for the leaves are
Rouge Flambe, Canary Yellow, Maghony, Spiced Pumpkin and Copper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%