Sauerkraut Fest!

Lounge By Ashlynn Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm by prterrell

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 9

I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with Waynesville Ohio's Sauerkraut Fest this weekend or if they would be going? It is a big deal around here and sadly I'm pretty excited for it icon_smile.gif

I can't wait to get a german sundae...and sauerkraut balls....and all the other wonderfully disgusting food that comes along with it.

8 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 9

No I'm sorry, but sure sounds like fun. Kinda miss some of that German foods. Kraut-balls???? icon_rolleyes.gif

Have a good time.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 9

Okay I have to ask, what are kraut-balls made from?

I'm a German girl (well a 1/4th of me is anyway) so saurkraut makes an apperance at our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners as well as other times of the year. I'm one of those that can eat it straight out of the can with or with out some hot dogs, but my favorite way is the way my grandma makes it.

She rinses the kraut and then puts it in a pan with a little water, chopped onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper. My mom adds a little bacon fat or you can use a piece of pork to cook with it. It mellow the flavor and makes it oh so yummy!!

A saurkraut festival sounds fun!!

mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Okay I have to ask, what are kraut-balls made from?

I'm a German girl (well a 1/4th of me is anyway) so saurkraut makes an apperance at our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners as well as other times of the year. I'm one of those that can eat it straight out of the can with or with out some hot dogs, but my favorite way is the way my grandma makes it.

She rinses the kraut and then puts it in a pan with a little water, chopped onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper. My mom adds a little bacon fat or you can use a piece of pork to cook with it. It mellow the flavor and makes it oh so yummy!!

A saurkraut festival sounds fun!!

OKAY ONE WORD...... YYYYUUUUMMMMM!!!!!!
Thanks TexasSugar for that way of making it.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

You are welcome though ya have to really thank my grandma, aka oma! icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:

You are welcome though ya have to really thank my grandma, aka oma! icon_smile.gif

THANK YOU OMA!!!!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 9

My MIL goes every year, we have realtives that live in Waynesville and Springboro - they stand in line to get the sour kraut doughnuts!

TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

Quote:

THANK YOU OMA!!!!!

icon_wink.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 9

Sounds like fun! I live about 2 hours from Helen, GA which is CaRAZY this time of year! We went a few years ago. Most of our friends went off to get their drink on, but DH and I went and pigged out on delicious German food. There's a great bakery there, too. We loaded up on boxed goodies and gorged on those for the next couple of days.

My mom's side of the family is mostly German, so we all get together and celebrate Oktoberfest every year. It is much fun! icon_smile.gif One of my nephews was born in October, so we often celebrate his birthday at our annual event. This year he wants tiramisu for his birthday cake, so we'll be celebrating Oktoberfest with a little Italian flair this year, lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%